Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

So I went a little nuts....

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I grow lots of hostas, and (up until this spring), had only one heuchera plant. It's a NOID, but it's a pretty little thing. (I've I included a pic of it) When it came up this spring I thought "wow, I really like that" and all of a sudden I got "heuchera fever" and bought a bunch! They really are an ideal companion plant to my hostas and add such a nice spot of color.

Now I want even more and am wondering which ones some of you recommend. Feel free to post your pictures if you have them. The more, the merrier!

Comments (18)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's "Creme Brûlée". I like it so well, I bought two.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 23:40

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is named "Beaujolais".

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Citronelle"

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Pinot Gris"

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Crimson Curls" looking a bit floppy. It was just planted yesterday and was very root bound in a gallon pot.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 14:54

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Marmalade" (I think I'm really going to like this one!)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just bought "Fire Chief" at my local nursery today. I love the color on this one.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last, but not least, "Palace Purple". I was told this was an oldie but a goodie. I purchased it for only $2!

• schiba
    10 years ago

My favorite out of all of those is Beaujolais! It actually gets pinker with some sun. Pinot Gris is just lovely, with pink undertones and silvery overlay.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, schiba. I was wondering about the color on "Beaujolais". It's my first year for that one and it's planted in mostly shade. It's looking a bit on the coffee brown side and not showing much veining. I think I'll move it to a sunnier location.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 20:27

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

Nothing nuts about it. Totally logical to me! Looks like a good haul. You picked some really fine ones. Paula

• irawon
    10 years ago

Sounds like you've been bitten bad. I've lost some because of root competition. Some that are doing fine for me are:
    Binoche
    Georgia Peach
    Tiramisu
    Caramel
    Encore
    Southern Comfort
    Green Spice
    Beaujolais
    Lime Marmalade
    Silver Scrolls
    Dolce Black Currant
    Plum Pudding
    Rootbeer
    Cherry Cola
    Changai
    Berry Smoothie

I lost Electra because I moved it. I got a second this year. At leasr for me moving heuchera or trying to divide them is problematic.

I love Snow Angel. It appears to be hanging in despite root competition.

I finally found a perfect spot for Marmalade.

The following heuchera are struggling:
    Midas Touch (root competition)
    Fire Chief (root competition)

I think that if you plant your heuchera in the right conditions, the most being proper drainage, yours should thrive.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They've all got good drainage...so I'm glad I got that part right. Thank you for the recommendations. Now I'll have to go look all of those up and drool over every last one of them. Lol. Here's a picture of the little garden I put together using some of my new heuchera acquisitions: (The potted plants are, of course, hostas.)

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Heucherella Sweet Tea is my favorite. It's as orange as you could want, more so than even Paprika, and very hardy. Marmalade is very prolific, it's everywhere in my garden, from a plant I bought years ago. Stainless steel, I can see all the way across the yard, because of its unusual color. Berry Smoothie is the prettiest of the roses reds.
    I have lost two Spellbound, bought at different times at different places.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

This is my favourite grouping. Cherry Coke, Silver Scrolls & Ginger Ale......Silver Scrolls and Ginger Ale have been particularly spectacular this year and are holding up well in a little more light.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those look great. I especially like Ginger Ale.

• dg
    10 years ago

Your Marmalade looks terrific and is making me want one! I've been reading good things about Berry Smoothie.

Heucherella Solar Power is doing well for me (2nd year) in bright shade and has been blooming for a month or so...

Deb

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deb-love that "Solar Power"! Lime green with burgundy center markings...who could ask for more? I'm going to have to get me one of those!

So far, "Marmalade" has continued to look great and is becoming a favorite. All the posts I've read sing its praises as well. Same with "Berry Smoothie", although I don't have one yet. (Emphasis on the yet) Another one that is at the very top of my want list is "Sweet Tea". It's a heucherella like your "Solar Power".

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm