Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

Solar Eclipse available anywhere online?

leafwatcher
9 years ago

My timing is horrible and the only one of these I have been able to track down was a pretty sad plant, that only became more depressed.

I have searched a bit online..anyone have a secret spot to share for this type?

Comments (29)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

In The Country seems to have some for sale still.

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera from In The Country

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much ! I had never ran across that supplier before. I ordered a couple and will be waiting for them anxiously :)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I've ordered a few from them and though they are kind of small, they are healthy and grow well. I still have all of the ones I bought from them four or five years ago. In fact, I'm trying to restrain myself from ordering because he has several I would really like to have. Resistance is futile?

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen, "You WILL be assimilated"

• tepelus
    9 years ago

lol

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope Karen is a Trekker ;)

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Casita Azul has them for $12.99. I've ordered from them quite a bit and have been pleased. They have a wonderful selection of heuchera, heucherella and tiarella. The plants are a bit small, but always grow great for me.

'Solar Eclipse' is a heucherella. I have it and really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casita Azul

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

same with FF. Casita Azul has been my choice for heucheras for the last 4 years for plants that I can't find in local nurseries. Very reliable service and healthy plants.

For older varieties, they typically ship bigger plants (3 inch pot with deep roots). I found out for newer varieties, it may take longer. All of them establish quickly and grow well in my garden.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I just ordered four heucheras and a heucherella. I couldn't resist. I could have bought more, but I had to be very choosy since I'm not made of money. Three of them are the Little Cuties variety. Not sure where I'm going to plant them, I may have to take out more lawn (weeds). Oh darn!

Karen

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I like the Little Cuties series. Which ones did you buy? I have 'Blondie', 'Frost', 'Gotham' and 'Sweet Tart'. They all grow well for me. I used to have 'Gingersnap', but it was a major dud. 'Frost' is by far my favorite out of all of the little ones.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I ordered Blondie, Sweet Tart, and Sugar Berry. The other heuchera is Glitter and the heucherella is Honey Rose. I wanted all of the Little Cuties but my bank account wouldn't allow. I think Gingersnap was sold out (where I ordered my heucheras from), but that one didn't grab me so much. It was a toss up between Frost and Sugar Berry. I have Sugar Plum, which I think from the pictures Sugar Berry looks to be a miniature version. I love those color types. Heucheras and their kin are as addictive as hostas and daylilies to me. And for some reason this year phlox are really grabbing me.

Karen

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I've seen 'Sugar Berry' at a local nursery and it's very striking in color. I don't think you'll be disappointed! I also have 'Glitter'. It's not a mini, but I find it to be on the small side of heuchs. I like it very much. The silver over the purple makes it a standout.

I agree...heuchera and friends are terribly addicting! I have over 100 varieties, so my case is a hopeless one. I'm not sure I even want to change, though.

Speaking of addiction...here's a picture of 'Frost' to get you going! I love it so much that I think every garden should have one.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I really wanted to get that one too because I love purple so much. Maybe next time. Yours is a beauty.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I got home late today to find my Solar Eclipse from IN The Country waiting for me... All I can say is one is bigger than I expected, the other HUGE...I planted them in the last light and watered them a bit as I believe they were in the mail for a few days...

I caged them in case some mentally disturbed rabbit gets any ideas before they ( the plants) even get a chance to breath the summer air in my yard.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Mentally disturbed rabbit. lol! My order from them should be here in the next day or so. Do you have pictures? I'll show you mine when they come if you'll show me yours. Oh, heck, I'll show them anyway. :)

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are both only hours in the ground so they are not at their best of course.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Those are some nice sized plants. Hope mine are about that size, but I have three coming that are supposed to be little ones, so I expect those to be little. Once they get settled in they'll perk up.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Make it so !

;)

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Well, my order got mixed up with someone else's. I contacted the nursery to let them know. Although they are supposed to be gone for a hosta convention for the next few days, I'm hoping they get in contact with me soon.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is disappointing, I used to order live fish to be picked up at the airport... That will STRESS you out when things go wrong as well !

• casey1gw
    9 years ago

I ordered half a dozen heuchs among other plants at santa Rosa gardens for $2.99 and they sent me 2 solar eclipses as a gift.

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

I ordered 8 heuchs and some other plants from the Santa Rosa sale and they sent me a teeny PowWow Wild Berry coneflower as a free gift.

• tepelus
    9 years ago

I ordered 15 plants from them and didn't get a free plant. I always get shafted.

Karen

• suryanamaskaram
    9 years ago

Nice...

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Karen I have that kind of luck some times ... I just figure they know the kind of magic my green thumbs have and they are nervous ;)

My Solar Eclipse have settled in nicely....

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Good to hear! I have mine in pots still. They'll probably stay there for a while yet until I can find a place for them. The heucherella has a small root system so it'll probably remain in the pot until the end of summer when it can have the chance to grow more roots and I can keep a better eye on it. Once plants are in the ground they are mostly on their own.

Here are my new heuchies. The back five and the one in the front left came from In The Country, they are (left to right): Heucherella Honey Rose, heucheras Sugar Berry, Sweet Tart, Glitter, Blondie, and Peppermint. The dark one, Blackout, came from Santa Rosa Gardens. The last one is my poor little Southern Comfort I nearly lost that I've been rooting. All there was left of it this spring were two small pieces of crown and no roots. Both were doing okay but then suddenly the tinier crown got eaten or something and I think it's a goner, but the bigger piece is slowly growing.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A rabbit visited one of the eclipse plants last night.. ggggrrrrrr

• tepelus
    9 years ago

Stupid bunnies. And deer. I've been doing some planting at the memorial garden at the cemetery this year and I've had to deal with the critters eating the plants. Some are supposed to be plants the critters will not like to eat, but the few I have out there that aren't so deer safe have been nibbled on, some to the ground. I guess I can either move them to my yard and plant something else, or get deer and rabbit repellent. You would think with all of the other foliage out there this time of the year they would eat that instead, but the brats like to target our gardens.

Karen

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had to cage the larger of my two Solar Eclipse.. the rabbits had turned it into the new SMALLER one.

I have three of those little pipsqueaks at least in the yard again.. the one out front is quick.. but he is predictable.. that could be his down fall ;)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio