Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can any chartreuse color H. take direct sun?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 21:32

I have a bed that gets morning light til about 2 pm, and is shaded by the house after that.

I took a good hard look at 4 Miracle I have planted in that area. Only one actually looks good, as in full and healthy. The other 3 have a lot of faded leaves or brown spots, plus open spaces where leaves are missing. These all looked great this spring. They have been in this location for 3 years. Miracle gets this nice rosy blush when the weather is cool, but it is more the base color of yellow green that I want here.

Purple leaved heuchera in this same bed look just fine (Obsidian, Blackout, and Stormy Seas)

I can't help contrasting it with several Tiramisu, which have similar color, but are planted in a bed that gets much more shade, and look totally full and healthy. I am thinking maybe lime green or chartreuse varieties perhaps can't take this much sun. But I don't know, maybe some can? Before I give up on heuchera for this color niche for this bed, maybe some one can tell me which of this color are most sun tolerant.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can any chartreuse color H. take direct sun?

In any listings that I have checked the chartreuse all seem to need at least partial shade and many specify complete shade. My Lime Rickey gets only some early sun but nevertheless produces a few burnt leaves which I pick off. They seem to be wimps!
Jan

o

Hi, new to me 'Harvest Lemon Chiffon' is vivid chartreuse (apparently gets lemon leaves eventually) and have been growing it in direct Sun for 1/2 the day for 2 months with no ill effects. Just might work for you.

o

Well, it's fall, and 3 of the 4 Miracle Heuchera have now been dead for a while. The remaining one looks fantastic. Strange. That one is sort of protected around its base with a geranium and a small leaved ivy ground cover. That must make a difference somehow. Maybe the one that lived is the real "Miracle?"

Though these were just the right color and form for this spot, it looks like next year I will have to rethink my choices for replacements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here