Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need New Mulch Solution

Posted by thisismelissa z4a-S Twin Cities MN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 9:59

This is my heuchera bed. I love having a bed devoted heuchera, heucherella and tiarella. And I adore their kaleidoscope of leaf color.

But it's that very kaleidoscope that gives me this conundrum.

With the dark brown mulch (including pine bark and cocoa shell), we lose the purples. With cypress, we lose the oranges. With red cedar (which I do not like anyway), I'd lose the berry colors.

Somoeone once suggested doing white rock, but I'm not a fan of it for multiple reasons.

Does anyone have a good suggestion of what to use?

New Heuchera Bed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need New Mulch Solution

What about a pine needle mulch? Neutral color may work. Paula

o

Have you considered compost or leaf mulch? They are far superior to wood mulches and colors really pop against the rich dark medium.

o

Have you considered compost or leaf mulch? They are far superior to wood mulches and colors really pop against the rich dark medium.

o

The free wood chips I pick up at a local composting site turn gray by mid summer. They may be a bit large for heucera so you'd have to chip them again, but they are very neutral.

Beverly

o

Grass clippings; I bet you have a lot of free ones! Nice light tan within 3 weeks or so, use about 4 " deep.

o

I've noticed from the photos on this site that the plantings of your huercheras seem to be heavily mulched. Is there a reason for that ?

Smiles,
Lyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here