Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Deer Don't Read -- can I save my plants ?

Posted by roseblush1 8a/Sunset 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 11:51

Ooops ! There goes another addiction.

With all of my research these last few weeks, I've found that some huecheras are deer resistant ... nothing is deer proof .. and decided to test for deer resistance before permanently planting my new heuecheras in the ground by planting them in containers and putting them out in deer territory.

My deer haven't figured out that they are not supposed to prefer heucheras to other plants. When I came out this morning, every leaf has been removed ... the flower spikes remain. I've prepared a bed in the protected area in back and will move the containers, but now I have to figure out how to save the plants. I like them.

Do I cut off all of the leaf spikes and expose the crown so that the plant can generate new leaves ? The containers will be located in partial shade. How much shade will be determined by whether or not they get leaf burn in high temps.

The three plants are all hybrid villosas ... said to be heat tolerant ... and I've found that the species h. villiosa can take high heat, but in nature is located in the south eastern part of the US where it is humid. My high heat is in an arid climate. I am guessing I will have to mist them during the weeks when we have triple digit temps.

But back to rescue ... what's the best way to save the plants?

Smiles,
Lyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Deer Don't Read -- can I save my plants ?

Liquid Fence. I was stunned by deer eating my heucheras for the first time ever last year. The plants did throw out new leaves this year but I sprayed w Liquid Fence and so far, so good.

o
RE: My Deer Don't Read -- can I save my plants ?

Thank you for responding, Ginny.

I found out how to save my heucheras from the lady runs the garden center at our local Ace Hardware store. She said the the deer actually watch her when she plants something new in the garden and just have to taste it.

She found that if she sprayed liquid fence at the time of planting, it lasted long enough for the deer to forget that they were new plants and the deer left them alone long after the Liquid Fence wore off.

She taught me how to save my new plants and the are starting to fill out quite well. When they are a little bigger, I'll give them the deer test again using Liquid Fence. If it works, I'll go ahead and put them in the ground.

Smiles,
Lyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here