Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

very yucky 'flowers'

I really enjoy having Heuchera 'Paris' and 'Lipstick' in my garden with their bright red flowers.

But here is 'Venus' and its 'flowers' detract from what I consider to be nice enough foliage. Are these long brown nondescript flowers par for the course for this heuchera (and others)? I did trim them off but they grew again quite quickly.

Comments (8)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Yes, some do have ugly flowers

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

I am still very, very new to heucheras, but I have been researching like a mad woman. One of things I've read, and others with more experience can tell me if I am correct, but cutting off the bloom spikes does not encourage the plant to re-bloom and I don't think it sends the plant into dormancy.

I am thinking that if I just cut off the flower spikes I might not like, it won't harm the plant. Am I correct ?

Smiles,
    Lyn

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I grow two kinds of heucheras - the old fashioned, green-leaved, red-flowered coral bells that attract hummers and the fancy, colored-leaved newer hybrids. This second grouping I grow only for their foliage effect - to me the flowers of most are insipid and detract from the foliage. I cut 'em all off as soon as they appear. It doesn't hurt the plant nor does it seem to encourage additional flowering.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

There are also some new ones like 'Shanghai' that have gorgeous fancy leaves and gorgeous flowers that rebloom even without deadheading :)

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Yes ... That's what I had read somewhere as I was researching and put in my notes. Deadheading does not encourage heucheras to to re-bloom as it does with recurrent roses and other plants. My guess ... and that's all it is at this point in my learning curve ... is that the plants are sterile and it really doesn't matter because they are not setting seed. I haven't created enough lineage trees to really understand the hybrids.

Thank you for the confirmation about it being OK to just cut the blooms off, if I don't like the look.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

BorS - LOL!! Guess it's a matter of taste cuz I don't find the flowers on Shanghai all that attractive :-) In fact, of the fancy leaved heuchs, about the only ones I'd consider leaving the flower stems intact are Rave On, Hollywood and Cherry Cola. All the others.....off with their heads!

Of course, the fact that I don't 'do' pink may have something to do with it :-) But I do like the old fashioned coral/red flowers and I do like most Tiarella flowers. To each, his/her own!

• roseblush1
    11 years ago

Gardengal...

I just HAD to look up Tiarella flowers ! One new addiction at a time .. LOL. They are beautiful, but I don't think I have enough shade.

Thanks for the information.

Smiles,
    Lyn

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

They are far more attractive than those on Green Spice for example....:D

Regina has outstanding flowers and foliage too. Two foot tall coral flowers.

Cherries Jubilee has nice red flowers

Cherry Cola is a stunner, saw a bunch of them at the Terra Nova display garden in June.

Havana has chartreuse foliage and hot pink flowers