Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very yucky 'flowers'

Posted by rouge21 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 18:27

I really enjoy having Heuchera 'Paris' and 'Lipstick' in my garden with their bright red flowers.

But here is 'Venus' and its 'flowers' detract from what I consider to be nice enough foliage. Are these long brown nondescript flowers par for the course for this heuchera (and others)? I did trim them off but they grew again quite quickly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very yucky 'flowers'

Yes, some do have ugly flowers

o

I am still very, very new to heucheras, but I have been researching like a mad woman. One of things I've read, and others with more experience can tell me if I am correct, but cutting off the bloom spikes does not encourage the plant to re-bloom and I don't think it sends the plant into dormancy.

I am thinking that if I just cut off the flower spikes I might not like, it won't harm the plant. Am I correct ?

Smiles,
Lyn

o

I grow two kinds of heucheras - the old fashioned, green-leaved, red-flowered coral bells that attract hummers and the fancy, colored-leaved newer hybrids. This second grouping I grow only for their foliage effect - to me the flowers of most are insipid and detract from the foliage. I cut 'em all off as soon as they appear. It doesn't hurt the plant nor does it seem to encourage additional flowering.

o

There are also some new ones like 'Shanghai' that have gorgeous fancy leaves and gorgeous flowers that rebloom even without deadheading :)

o

Yes ... That's what I had read somewhere as I was researching and put in my notes. Deadheading does not encourage heucheras to to re-bloom as it does with recurrent roses and other plants. My guess ... and that's all it is at this point in my learning curve ... is that the plants are sterile and it really doesn't matter because they are not setting seed. I haven't created enough lineage trees to really understand the hybrids.

Thank you for the confirmation about it being OK to just cut the blooms off, if I don't like the look.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

BorS - LOL!! Guess it's a matter of taste cuz I don't find the flowers on Shanghai all that attractive :-) In fact, of the fancy leaved heuchs, about the only ones I'd consider leaving the flower stems intact are Rave On, Hollywood and Cherry Cola. All the others.....off with their heads!

Of course, the fact that I don't 'do' pink may have something to do with it :-) But I do like the old fashioned coral/red flowers and I do like most Tiarella flowers. To each, his/her own!

o

Gardengal...

I just HAD to look up Tiarella flowers ! One new addiction at a time .. LOL. They are beautiful, but I don't think I have enough shade.

Thanks for the information.

Smiles,
Lyn

o

They are far more attractive than those on Green Spice for example....:D

Regina has outstanding flowers and foliage too. Two foot tall coral flowers.

Cherries Jubilee has nice red flowers

Cherry Cola is a stunner, saw a bunch of them at the Terra Nova display garden in June.

Havana has chartreuse foliage and hot pink flowers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here