Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

More pictures

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

It's still overcast here in the PNW, so I thought I'd go out and get some more pictures. This first one is 'Blackout' and its the darkest heuch I own. It takes full sun without crisping up, as long as I keep it watered. However, I think it would be darker in more shade. I've noticed it greening up just a bit as the summer progresses. I love the contrast of the pale flowers against the dark leaves.

Comments (24)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a mini heuch called 'Blondie'. It's supposed to stay at this 6" size. I like the yellow flowers on this one, hence the name.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Lemon Chiffon' is a pretty lemon green color.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Pinot Gris' likes to change colors throughout the season. In the spring, it shows more pink and purple hues. Here, you can see its leaning towards the greenish side.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Geisha's Fan' is new to me and still on the small side. She's showing some neat leaf patterns and colors already, though.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Tiramisu' is interesting. When it came to me, it was mostly plain lime green. The new growth has a red, veiny center (as shown here). I've seen lots of pics of this on the net and the colors are always different. I can't wait to see what it does next.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Lime Marmalade' is lime green with ruffled leaves-what's not to like?

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one for the day is 'Plum Pudding'. Yummy!

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to add your own pictures and/or comments.

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

flower-frenzy your heuchs are beautiful! I especially like Blondie. I haven't seen that one before. Will have to put it on my list.
    Pinot Gris is one of my favorites. It's a rapid grower here and will take a lot of sun also.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, tarheel. I love 'Blondie' too. Especially since she's extra small, as I am rapidly running out of space for all of these beauties! If you're into mail-order, Casita Azul has 'Blondie' plus a ton of other awesome heucheras/heucherellas. I've ordered from them before and have been happy. Plus, they only charge $3.99 handling per order with free shipping. Their website is www.ilovehostas.net if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casita Azul

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

I'm going to check out their website. I'm guessing they have hosta also? lol I've been wanting to order from Hallsons and have been trying to be good until spring. But then I read in your other post that they have heucheras also, I may need to go ahead and place a "small" order. :)

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

As FF said, Casita Azul is a nice place for Heucheras. I buy some from Home Depot or Lowels (bigger plants for the first year). But for hard to find ones, I order from "Casita Azul". They have the most comprehensive list. Their plant grows fast. Reliable and speedy service as well. I have not tried their hostas yet.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tarheel-I've never tried hostas from Casita Azul, but their ratings are good across the board for all of their plants. Hallson's is sold out of a lot of their heuchera varieties right now, but Chris told me that they put more available online for their fall ordering season. I think they'll be adding more stock towards the end of this month/first part of next month.

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

I only had a few mins to browse their website. I wasn't expecting to see so many different heucheras! There are many that I have not heard of. I may try to place an order towards the end of this month. I'm going to look again when I have a little more time.
    I received 2 new ones today - Berry Smoothie and Shanghai. They were both really nice sized plants and I love the colors. BS had been on my wishlist for 2 yrs. I'm excited to get them in the garden.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're going to love Berry Smoothie. The color is amazing!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 0:36

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

That is a great pic of Berry Smoothie. I hope it will stand up to the heat/humidity we have here.
    I jumped over to this forum hoping to see pics of heucheras you saw today. :)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately I didn't take any. They were out in full sun and looking a bit crispy, so I didn't think they'd be represented fairly. I do have this new one I forgot to add. It's called 'Spellbinder'. The leaves get up to 8" across.

I'll take a pic of 'Paprika' tomorrow and upload it to this thread as well.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 2:36

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

Love the coloring on Spellbinder!

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Love your Geisha's Fan, it's at the top of my most wanted list.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I bought 'Spellbinder' from my local nursery and 'Geisha's Fan' from Casita Azul's Ebay auctions.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

FF, On Sunday I placed order from Casita Azul (BTW, They are my favorite online place for heucheras and have used them for the last 3 years) for Berry Smoothie after seeing your pictures. I ordered 3 Frosted Violets as well as I need something big and dark purple for the front sun garden.Got the USPS shipping notification yesterday already and I should see the plants by tomorrow. Can't wait and thanks for sharing your pictures.
    Vivian

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vivian, it's always fun getting stuff in the mail. You're going to love the color on 'Berry Smoothie'! It loves the shade, too. I have mine in morning sun only and it's growing like a weed.

I don't have 'Frosted Violet', but all of the pictures make it look like a good one.

Make sure to post pictures if you can!

• sm4657
    10 years ago

I love the Berry Smoothie! Thanks for letting us know about your source.....:)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're welcome for the source. The plants aren't overly large, but they're healthy and take off right away. It's also great to find so many varieties.

Here's a pic of my latest acquisition. This one is called 'Paprika'. I don't know how it's going to grow yet, but the color is absolutely outstanding! The tops of the leaves are reddish orange with prominent veining and the undersides are hot pink. It's the brightest plant I have in my entire garden. It just glows. The color reminds me of a blood orange.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 18:52

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a close-up of the leaf. All I can say is "wow"!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm