Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More pictures

Posted by flower-frenzy 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 19:19

It's still overcast here in the PNW, so I thought I'd go out and get some more pictures. This first one is 'Blackout' and its the darkest heuch I own. It takes full sun without crisping up, as long as I keep it watered. However, I think it would be darker in more shade. I've noticed it greening up just a bit as the summer progresses. I love the contrast of the pale flowers against the dark leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More pictures

This is a mini heuch called 'Blondie'. It's supposed to stay at this 6" size. I like the yellow flowers on this one, hence the name.

o

'Lemon Chiffon' is a pretty lemon green color.

o

'Pinot Gris' likes to change colors throughout the season. In the spring, it shows more pink and purple hues. Here, you can see its leaning towards the greenish side.

o

'Geisha's Fan' is new to me and still on the small side. She's showing some neat leaf patterns and colors already, though.

o

'Tiramisu' is interesting. When it came to me, it was mostly plain lime green. The new growth has a red, veiny center (as shown here). I've seen lots of pics of this on the net and the colors are always different. I can't wait to see what it does next.

o

'Lime Marmalade' is lime green with ruffled leaves-what's not to like?

o

Last one for the day is 'Plum Pudding'. Yummy!

As always, thanks for looking and feel free to add your own pictures and/or comments.

o

flower-frenzy your heuchs are beautiful! I especially like Blondie. I haven't seen that one before. Will have to put it on my list.
Pinot Gris is one of my favorites. It's a rapid grower here and will take a lot of sun also.

o

Thanks, tarheel. I love 'Blondie' too. Especially since she's extra small, as I am rapidly running out of space for all of these beauties! If you're into mail-order, Casita Azul has 'Blondie' plus a ton of other awesome heucheras/heucherellas. I've ordered from them before and have been happy. Plus, they only charge $3.99 handling per order with free shipping. Their website is www.ilovehostas.net if you're interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casita Azul

o

I'm going to check out their website. I'm guessing they have hosta also? lol I've been wanting to order from Hallsons and have been trying to be good until spring. But then I read in your other post that they have heucheras also, I may need to go ahead and place a "small" order. :)

o

As FF said, Casita Azul is a nice place for Heucheras. I buy some from Home Depot or Lowels (bigger plants for the first year). But for hard to find ones, I order from "Casita Azul". They have the most comprehensive list. Their plant grows fast. Reliable and speedy service as well. I have not tried their hostas yet.

o

Tarheel-I've never tried hostas from Casita Azul, but their ratings are good across the board for all of their plants. Hallson's is sold out of a lot of their heuchera varieties right now, but Chris told me that they put more available online for their fall ordering season. I think they'll be adding more stock towards the end of this month/first part of next month.

o

I only had a few mins to browse their website. I wasn't expecting to see so many different heucheras! There are many that I have not heard of. I may try to place an order towards the end of this month. I'm going to look again when I have a little more time.
I received 2 new ones today - Berry Smoothie and Shanghai. They were both really nice sized plants and I love the colors. BS had been on my wishlist for 2 yrs. I'm excited to get them in the garden.

o

You're going to love Berry Smoothie. The color is amazing!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Aug 3, 13 at 0:36

o

That is a great pic of Berry Smoothie. I hope it will stand up to the heat/humidity we have here.
I jumped over to this forum hoping to see pics of heucheras you saw today. :)

o

Unfortunately I didn't take any. They were out in full sun and looking a bit crispy, so I didn't think they'd be represented fairly. I do have this new one I forgot to add. It's called 'Spellbinder'. The leaves get up to 8" across.

I'll take a pic of 'Paprika' tomorrow and upload it to this thread as well.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 2:36

o

Love the coloring on Spellbinder!

o

Love your Geisha's Fan, it's at the top of my most wanted list.

o

Thanks for the compliments. I bought 'Spellbinder' from my local nursery and 'Geisha's Fan' from Casita Azul's Ebay auctions.

o

FF, On Sunday I placed order from Casita Azul (BTW, They are my favorite online place for heucheras and have used them for the last 3 years) for Berry Smoothie after seeing your pictures. I ordered 3 Frosted Violets as well as I need something big and dark purple for the front sun garden.Got the USPS shipping notification yesterday already and I should see the plants by tomorrow. Can't wait and thanks for sharing your pictures.
Vivian

o

Vivian, it's always fun getting stuff in the mail. You're going to love the color on 'Berry Smoothie'! It loves the shade, too. I have mine in morning sun only and it's growing like a weed.

I don't have 'Frosted Violet', but all of the pictures make it look like a good one.

Make sure to post pictures if you can!

o

I love the Berry Smoothie! Thanks for letting us know about your source.....:)

o

You're welcome for the source. The plants aren't overly large, but they're healthy and take off right away. It's also great to find so many varieties.

Here's a pic of my latest acquisition. This one is called 'Paprika'. I don't know how it's going to grow yet, but the color is absolutely outstanding! The tops of the leaves are reddish orange with prominent veining and the undersides are hot pink. It's the brightest plant I have in my entire garden. It just glows. The color reminds me of a blood orange.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 18:52

o

Here's a close-up of the leaf. All I can say is "wow"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here