Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

heucheras for lots of shade

More and more I see heucheras and heucherellas showing part sun and even sun on their tags. I am considering planting a border of 'striking' heuchs which will experience a lots of shade..very little direct sun. So it is a true SHADE location.

Can you give me some varieties that could form an impressive border in a shade aspect. I think I would like to alternate 2 different types.

Comments (16)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

The ones that thrive the best in lots of shade are the lime green varieties. The purple ones are the ones that can take the most sun and everything else falls in between the two. That's not to say that some of the purple ones won't be equally happy in shade and sun. There are a few varieties that seem to need sun to thrive and/or have been bred for hot, humid Southern climates. Those are the ones that most likely won't work for your situation.

Here are some nice ones that I would recommend for you as someone with mostly shade:

Lime Marmalade
    Citronelle
    Pinot Gris
    Amber Waves
    Berry Smoothie
    Purple Petticoats
    Plum Pudding
    Caramel
    Creme Brûlée
    Frosted Violet
    Palace Purple

There are also a few more lime green ones that I don't have experience with, but look like they could be good ones. You might check out:

Lime Rickey
    Pear Crisp
    Havana
    Lime Ruffles

I'm still new to heuchera, but these were recommended to me from my local nursery as being ones that were good growers. I've also seen all of the above in person and find them to be attractive plants.

I'm sure others here will have additional suggestions, but those should get you started. Have fun!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 3:06

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much "ff". I appreciate the time you took to post your response.

("Havana" is appealing because of its showy flowers)

• dg
    10 years ago

Heucherella Solar Power is doing well for me in bright shade. It's actually a little more yellowy-green than the pic shows.

Alternating with something like Amber Waves, which is on flower_frenzy's list, might look nice.

hth,
    Deb

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Deb, I like that one. I don't have any heucherellas. Are they fussier than heucheras?

• dg
    10 years ago

This particular heucherella (Solar Power) has been really easy. Planted it and it grew! yay! I tried Yellowstone Falls last year and it didn't make it the summer.

I have had a difficult time with the newer (more colorful) heucheras like Autumn Leaves and Cajun Fire. They are alive but not taking off like I'd hoped...Palace Purple and Brownies are doing OK. I guess they are the more tried and true varieties.

I just am not getting either one (heucherella or heuchera) completely figured out yet, but I'm not giving up...I love the colorful leaves and feel like they are worth the effort.

I'm glad to see the forum's newer posts lately. It's been kind of quiet around here.
    :-)
    Deb

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a couple of "Havana" just yesterday and they are now in the ground.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That looks like a good one, rouge. I hope you enjoy it! Beware...heuchera can be addictive! I started with one and jumped to 25!!!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I grow "Caramel" in an area that gets sun until about noon and then shade for the rest of the day. It's as happy as clam. It's listed as one that will grow in full shade to full sun.

You being in the south, I would think it might appreciate some afternoon shade.

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

The best 2 that I have in the shade right now are Dolce Key Lime Pie and Paris. They both have pink blooms and Paris blooms for a really long time.
    From what I have read, the heucherellas do better in shade. I have Redstone Falls and Yellowstone Falls in pots in deep shade. They are growing really well.
    Caramel seems to do great in the shade or part sun, but I think the coloring is better with a little sun.
    Pinot Gris has always been in sun until after lunch here. I started with 1 average plant 3yrs ago and now have 4 plants that are even larger. Will need to split those this fall. It's a really fast grower and would make a nice border.

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Heucherella 'Sweet Tea' , 'Kimono', 'Brass Lantern, and 'Solar Eclipse' are my favorite. They all have done well for me in shade right alongside my heuchera. I also have varieties of tiarella, not as colorful, but if infinitely easier to care for with no dividing necessary after many years. Tiarella do not get that woody stalk and spindly leaves when it's time to break them into divisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Under crabapple

• dg
    10 years ago

Very pretty garden, Kirsten! I bet the stone path draws you right in :-)

Deb

• true_blue
    10 years ago

This is the second year for my Silver Scrolls and 2 Georgia Peach in sandy soil and dappled shade.
    The plants receive1 hour of direct sun approximately.
    Silver Scrolls (was a big plant to begin with) is thriving. Georgia Peach is Ok (They were small plants to begin with), but as I was forced to transplant them due to construction work last fall, they were sort of in bad shape. But thankfully there seems to be lot of new growth and in a couple of years they should be fine.

Original Author
    7 years ago

UPDATE:

Our two "Havanas" has been a very good performer this season. Very bright foliage with showy pink flowers.

• hl_60
    7 years ago

Great coloring! Now I need one! ;)

• Highland Blooms Dawn
    7 years ago

That's so nice, I will keep a look out for it this coming year. I second Silver Scrolls and Caramel for shade . I have carnival fall festival and heuerella infinity in shade under my apple tree never gets sun and they are amazing.