Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tepelus

Heucherella Gunsmoke proliferation

tepelus
11 years ago

About a month ago I noticed my heucherella "Gunsmoke" had an unusual spent flower scape that was extra thick and had what looked like a mini version growing from the end of it. It had flowered, so I removed the spent flowers and cut off this little plant on a stick about a half inch below the crown of leaves and pushed it into a small pot with some potting mix. I brought it inside out of the heat and sun where I could watch it better. I kept the potting mix moist but not wet the entire time (well, except for maybe that one time where it almost dried out completely...oops!) and out of direct sun from the window. Most of the leaves dried out completely, but a couple of the larger ones still had some pliable green in them, and their stems. So I just kept it watered and thought I'll toss it when the whole thing dries out. Low and behold, this morning I took a look at it and it had grown a new leaf! Yay! It means the plant took root and now I have a second "Gunsmoke" to add to my gardens next spring. I plan to keep it indoors through the winter since it is so late in the year for it to establish itself in the ground for the winter. Here are a couple of photos:

Early in the spring some critter chewed off a chunk of crown on my heuchera "Cherry Cola" and I pushed that into the ground. Right now it is growing pretty well, still small but it has had time to establish itself in the ground, so it'll stay where it is at and next spring I'll move it away from "Midnight Bayou" which is getting swallowed up by.

Karen

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company