Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heucherella Gunsmoke proliferation

Posted by tepelus 6a N. Ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 8:53

About a month ago I noticed my heucherella "Gunsmoke" had an unusual spent flower scape that was extra thick and had what looked like a mini version growing from the end of it. It had flowered, so I removed the spent flowers and cut off this little plant on a stick about a half inch below the crown of leaves and pushed it into a small pot with some potting mix. I brought it inside out of the heat and sun where I could watch it better. I kept the potting mix moist but not wet the entire time (well, except for maybe that one time where it almost dried out completely...oops!) and out of direct sun from the window. Most of the leaves dried out completely, but a couple of the larger ones still had some pliable green in them, and their stems. So I just kept it watered and thought I'll toss it when the whole thing dries out. Low and behold, this morning I took a look at it and it had grown a new leaf! Yay! It means the plant took root and now I have a second "Gunsmoke" to add to my gardens next spring. I plan to keep it indoors through the winter since it is so late in the year for it to establish itself in the ground for the winter. Here are a couple of photos:

Heucherella Gunsmoke prolif 8-28-12

Heucherella Gunsmoke prolif 8-28-12

Early in the spring some critter chewed off a chunk of crown on my heuchera "Cherry Cola" and I pushed that into the ground. Right now it is growing pretty well, still small but it has had time to establish itself in the ground, so it'll stay where it is at and next spring I'll move it away from "Midnight Bayou" which is getting swallowed up by.

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heucherella Gunsmoke proliferation

Aww, you saved it! I hadn't heard of Heucherella Gun Smoke before now. It looks like it will be a pretty one ;-)

Deb

o

That little leaf has gotten bigger, and soon I hope to see more growing. It is a pretty plant. The mother plant is doing quite well this year. I had it growing beneath a dogwood tree where it was struggling, but after I moved it to its new spot it has grown really well. It's a nice plant.

Karen

o

My little prolif is growing good! First leaf is getting bigger and a new one is emerging. I cut off the dead ones and left the only old live leaf attached to help it along.

Heucherella Gunsmoke prolif 9-5-12, Growing well, second leaf coming!

And here's momma plant getting a whole bunch of new growth:

Heucherella Gunsmoke 9-5-12

Karen

o

I'll bet that your whole garden is happy for the rain and not-as-hot weather, I know mine is. (My Grandma used to say that rain has "vitamins" in it. hehe).
Your Gunsmoke Mother plant is beautiful (I love the moss too) and the baby's growth is so encouraging! Great job Karen, things are coming right along ;-)

Deb

o

Karen - question for you. You said you were keeping your plant indoors overwinter - does this work for you. Does the plant not need a dormant period? Thanks...

o

It died anyway. Boyfriend knocked it off the window sill one day without repotting it correctly, didn't know about it and it dried out and I wasn't able to revive it.

Ex boyfriend now, I should say, and not over the plant.

Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here