Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
an 'alarming' shade of red

Posted by Hostas_for_Barb 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 10:43

Thrilled with my new Fire Alarm Heuchera. The red shade is just amazing. And the leaves are so big. Anyone else have pictures of this one to share?

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:07

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: an 'alarming' shade of red

I like this one as well. I bought it last year, but it didn't make it through the winter. I purchased this new one in the spring. I rarely replace heucheras that don't make it, but I made an exception for this one. The color definitely makes it worth another try.

o

Flower: Fire Alarm looks lovely with the colour of those Hosta. I hope you have better success with this one.

Barb

o

I'm hoping for a better outcome, too! If I lose another one, I won't replace it. I think the first one was in a spot that was too wet. Plus, we had an exceptionally cold winter last year. This new one is planted in a drier area with a wooden fence panel at the back of it for added insulation. Keeping my fingers crossed!

The hostas in the picture are 'Rainforest Sunrise' (front) and 'Paradise Joyce' (side).

o

Love rainforest sunrise - just got it this year - a hoty I think. And I have a lovely PIC of paradise Joyce in a book so I have wanted to add that one too. Good selection!

o

Barb and FF, Love your Fire Alarms. I have not take any picture this year. Here is one taken end of October last year. The bright color is nice. However this is the only Heuchera (of the 10 varieties I have) that grows really slow. It came out pretty late in the spring too. But I stay with it because of the bright color.

Fire Alarm 10/20/2013 photo IMG_2756_zps2ce1f6d2.jpg

o

Nice picture, Vivian. I don't think you're alone in FA growing slowly and/or coming up late for you. Out of all of my heucheras, the reds tend to be the ones that are the hardest to grow. Like you, I keep them around for their outstanding color. Anyone else find reds to be difficult?

o

I just bought Paprika and FA so I guess I will have to comment next year. I'm actually okay with slow growers as long as I know that from the start and can give them space accordingly. I have some Hosta, that although beautiful are beginning to crowd others around them - you are big enough -> stop adding size!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here