Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

Your favorite orange variety?

ajc9
10 years ago

Hello all!

Do u have a fav orange variety? Preferably a deep orange...

I've noticed one that also has a center that is orange while the outer corners are lime green.

Anyway...any tried and trues to share?

This post was edited by ajc9 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 11:02

Comments (20)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Hi ajc9. I really love the oranges and have a lot of good ones. I don't know where you reside, so I can't recommend any based on zone and climate, but I can definitely give you some pics of my favorites! This first one is the deepest orange I have. It's actually a heucherella and it's called 'Sweet Tea'. It's small yet, as it's the first year I've had it. It's supposed to get about 20" high and 30" across.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

This heuchera is not only my favorite orangey one, but my favorite of all of the 20+ heucheras I grow. It's called 'Mahogany'. The new growth is orangey, then it turns into a deep, orange-red-bronze color. The glossy leaves make it a stand-out in the garden. Great growth rate as well.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

If you're looking for bright, then 'Paprika' would be for you. This one is a bit sparse because it's new. It should fill in by next year, though. The front of the leaves are orange and the backs are hot pink.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Peach Flambé' is another great one. This one practically glows in my garden.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I also really like 'Georgia Peach'.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I also love 'Marmalade'. It comes out in the orange tones and then some leaves change colors, giving it a multi-color effect.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flowerfrenzy...thank you sooo much! A huge help!

What beautiful photos!

Im leaning towards the mahogany...after googling it it seems to have a beautiful orange hue in summer! I'm in zone 5b. The spot I'm thinking receives sun late afternoon. Would that suffice for this variety?

I like the looks of the marmalade bc of the green...but perhaps I can pair another limey green perennial with the mahogany for contrast;)

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

You won't be sorry if you go with 'Mahogany'. It's truly an outstanding plant in every way. It's not as orange as heucherella 'Sweet Tea', though.

Zone 5b should be great for most heuchera. Late afternoon sun should be ok, as yours is much less intense than southern climates.

If you buy a lime green heuchera, keep in mind that they don't like hot sun. Morning sun until about noon is all they can take here. I'd recommend 'Lime Marmalade' because of the nice ruffles and vigorous growth habit.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Citronelle' is another nice lime-green variety.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ooh...I love the lime marmalade.

This is so confusing! I'm googling way too many ideas. Now I'm onto the peach flambé.

The mahogany caught my eye bc of the shiny leaves. It seems more bushy compared to the sweet tea or peach flambé - but I do like the more true orange that the latter two show.

I need an entire heuchera garden;). Here's a pic where the heuchera will be planted. Within the curved rocks I'm planting some with white dianthus. Towards the back will be a small dwarf variety tree...

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That looks Iike a great spot to showcase all of your new heuchera. They'll add some nice color and really brighten it up. I like your house, too. Pretty design and nice color combo.

Both Mahogany and Peach Flambé are very bushy, round plants. Mahogany is richer in color while Peach Flambé is brighter. Heucherella Sweet Tea (like most heucherellas) has a more casual appearance. I think it's the long, lobed leaves. It could be that the stems are longer as well, causing it to have a bit of a droopy appearance. You can't beat it for pure orange color, though. It's definitely high on my favorites list. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Those, along with Berry Smoothie and Lime Marmalade, are my favorites for color. Plum Pudding ranks right up at the top as well.

I think you're on to something with the entire heuchera garden. I mix heuchs and hostas, and I have that combo with a few other shade plants in 4 areas of my garden because I can't quit buying them. Lol!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of 'Berry Smoothie', just in case you weren't confused enough! Lol

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, you've totally helped me narrow this down, flowerfrenzy!

My little one went down early. I should be doing laundry and dishes but have been googling heuchera colors instead;) I have a gal at my local nursery that will order almost any color for me...I'm going to call tomorrow. Yay!

Ok, I think I like the bushy varieties for this space best so will stick with peach flambé or mahogany to get started. And then one of the limes u mentioned.

Linked below is a really nice brown tone...it might get lost in the mulch but I just might have to find a spot for it. I love the natural hearty look to it! Scroll down to the third/last picture. Pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: What variety?

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...the blondie variety is awesome too!

Back to my original thinking...orange. Anyway...looks like I'll be buying a few colors now!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That one is really pretty. I think it's a variety called 'Bronze Wave'. I haven't been able to get my hands on that one yet! It would look great with whichever orange(s) you pick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Bronze Wave Heuchera

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Flower-frenzy what sun exposure does your paprika get? 'Mine is a drab brown, in deep shade. I have already decided to move it next spring, to a spot with more light, aiming for something more like yours.

My favorite orange is Heucherella 'Sweet Tea'

• nutmeg4061
    10 years ago

I don't know if this is available yet, but it sure looks like one to keep an eye open for.
    Heuchera 'Zipper'

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera 'Zipper'

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Unbidden-my 'Paprika' gets sun until about 12:30/1:00 every day. I live in the PNW, if that makes a difference. I love heucherella 'Sweet Tea' too. It's the orangest I've got.

Nutmeg-I haven't seen 'Zipper ' before. It certainly looks like a winner!

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unbidden...what bush is next to your heuchera...I love it!

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

That bush is a fern, Dre's Dagger. It is very hardy here in northern Wisconsin, and always gets commented an by my garden friends. Underneath it, are the beginnings of ground hugging deer ferns.