Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgregory_zone6

solar power

dg
11 years ago

Just thought I'd post a pic to get this forum going again. Been kinda quiet over here in Heuchera Land! :-)

I hope Solar Power likes it in that garden beside Lady Fern and a hydrangea. It will get very early sun for a short time and bright afternoon shade.

This plant was labeled "heuchera" but isn't it a heucherella?

Heucherella Yellowstone Falls is in a hanging pot on my porch, but it probably needs a larger space/container. I'll take a photo of it when I get home from work.

Deb

Comments (9)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Yup, it's a heucherella. I have this one, and like yours it's green right now. In the spring though it was much brighter yellow. Here are some progression photos starting in April until today. Watch the plant in the back right how it progresses, too. It's heuchera 'Obsidian'.

4-17-12

{{gwi:261598}}

5-8-12

5-11-12

8-18-12 (Big time jump, I know. Didn't take pictures in June and July.)

Karen

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very pretty, Karen! It's fun to see progression photos.

Mine is new this year, so I kept it in a pot during the terrible heat and drought. Things are a little better now and it's in the ground. I hope it looks as good next year, fingers crossed ;-)

Deb

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I hope mine keeps all or at least most of its leaves through the winter. Where it is situated a lot of the cold drying winds blow across this plant and the sun shines on it when the leaves on the trees are gone. Lack of snow last year didn't help it any either, and most of its leaves dried up and died. It recovered nicely though, so hopefully we'll get more snow this year that sticks to help protect the plants.

Karen

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

Hmm. I have trouble in my hanging pot at my front door, too shady, Maple to the West, house to the East. Do you heucherella growers think I could grow one there?

Very nice pics

Beverly

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm no expert but, fwiw, here's my 2cents: Each heucherella, tiarella and heuchera requires or tolerates different levels of sun and light exposure. If your porch is open and has bright light, you should be able to find one that will grow there during the Summer.

I'm thinking that, because of your growing zone, you will probably need to overwinter the pot in a garage.

hth,
    Deb

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Solar Power now on 9-5-12

Karen

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's mine this morning. The sun is lower in the sky and Solar Power is getting more light. Thankfully the sun isn't as harsh as it was a few weeks ago.

From the east:
    {{gwi:878782}}

From the south:
    {{gwi:878784}}

Deb

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Yours is getting new leaves, too. Mine seems to have more red in the leaves than yours does. I wonder if it's a soil issue or sun? Or perhaps the amount of red has to do with age, earlier in the spring mine didn't have as much. Hmm...

Karen

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I was excited to see new leaf growth. Thought it would mellow out and not do anything for the rest of the season.

I noticed the difference in the leaf "reds" between our plants too, Karen. On mine, the small newer leaves seem to be forming with more red than the older leaves have.

Here is a pic taken today with afternoon shade. For the pic I moved some of the "older" leaves back to expose a few newer ones:
    {{gwi:878786}}

All the Heuchera in my garden are new for me this year. I'm trying them again after not having much luck a few years ago. So glad I found gardenweb and happy to become a member. Now I can read posts and ask friendly folks questions. It will help me (I hope) to have success this time with heuchera. I have been enjoying the pics for inspiration.

I guess time will tell if Solar Power changes because of sun, soil, maturity or all of the above.
    :-)
    Deb

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x