Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
solar power

Posted by Dgregory 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 13:41

Just thought I'd post a pic to get this forum going again. Been kinda quiet over here in Heuchera Land! :-)

I hope Solar Power likes it in that garden beside Lady Fern and a hydrangea. It will get very early sun for a short time and bright afternoon shade.

This plant was labeled "heuchera" but isn't it a heucherella?

Heucherella Yellowstone Falls is in a hanging pot on my porch, but it probably needs a larger space/container. I'll take a photo of it when I get home from work.

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: solar power

Yup, it's a heucherella. I have this one, and like yours it's green right now. In the spring though it was much brighter yellow. Here are some progression photos starting in April until today. Watch the plant in the back right how it progresses, too. It's heuchera 'Obsidian'.

4-17-12

Solar Power 4-17-12

5-8-12

Heucherella Solar Power 5-8-12

5-11-12

Heucherella Solar Power 5-11-12

8-18-12 (Big time jump, I know. Didn't take pictures in June and July.)

Heucherella Solar Power 8-18-12

Karen

o

Very pretty, Karen! It's fun to see progression photos.

Mine is new this year, so I kept it in a pot during the terrible heat and drought. Things are a little better now and it's in the ground. I hope it looks as good next year, fingers crossed ;-)

Deb

o

I hope mine keeps all or at least most of its leaves through the winter. Where it is situated a lot of the cold drying winds blow across this plant and the sun shines on it when the leaves on the trees are gone. Lack of snow last year didn't help it any either, and most of its leaves dried up and died. It recovered nicely though, so hopefully we'll get more snow this year that sticks to help protect the plants.

Karen

o

Hmm. I have trouble in my hanging pot at my front door, too shady, Maple to the West, house to the East. Do you heucherella growers think I could grow one there?

Very nice pics

Beverly

o

I'm no expert but, fwiw, here's my 2cents: Each heucherella, tiarella and heuchera requires or tolerates different levels of sun and light exposure. If your porch is open and has bright light, you should be able to find one that will grow there during the Summer.

I'm thinking that, because of your growing zone, you will probably need to overwinter the pot in a garage.

hth,
Deb

o

Solar Power now on 9-5-12

Heucherella Solar Power 9-5-12

Karen

o

Here's mine this morning. The sun is lower in the sky and Solar Power is getting more light. Thankfully the sun isn't as harsh as it was a few weeks ago.

From the east:
Photobucket

From the south:
Photobucket

Deb

o

Yours is getting new leaves, too. Mine seems to have more red in the leaves than yours does. I wonder if it's a soil issue or sun? Or perhaps the amount of red has to do with age, earlier in the spring mine didn't have as much. Hmm...

Karen

o

Yes, I was excited to see new leaf growth. Thought it would mellow out and not do anything for the rest of the season.

I noticed the difference in the leaf "reds" between our plants too, Karen. On mine, the small newer leaves seem to be forming with more red than the older leaves have.

Here is a pic taken today with afternoon shade. For the pic I moved some of the "older" leaves back to expose a few newer ones:
Photobucket

All the Heuchera in my garden are new for me this year. I'm trying them again after not having much luck a few years ago. So glad I found gardenweb and happy to become a member. Now I can read posts and ask friendly folks questions. It will help me (I hope) to have success this time with heuchera. I have been enjoying the pics for inspiration.

I guess time will tell if Solar Power changes because of sun, soil, maturity or all of the above.
:-)
Deb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here