Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help please.

Posted by Hostas_for_Barb 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 14:18

Hi: I was helping a friend clean up her garden and broke off a couple of Heuchera shoots when working. I potted them up (saw this on You tube) and they are doing quite well. I believe that they are either Marmalade or Caramel. Anyone know the difference and what I have?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help please.

Are the leaves fuzzy at all, or are they smooth? My first guess is Maramlade, but an answer to this question would help further.

o

Flower: Interesting question - I didn't realize they weren't all smooth. Quite the newbie. I checked and the leaves felt pebbly or bumpy - not what I would call fuzzy exactly but certainly not smooth.

o

repeat post - sorry

This post was edited by Hostas_for_Barb on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 18:40

o

Then I believe you have Marmalade there. Caramel has villosa breeding. Villosa hybrids tend to hold up better in the southern states than the others as they're bred for heat tolerance. The hairy leaves are a tell-tale sign of their lineage. If that was Caramel, the leaves would feel velvety...almost like those little posters you can buy kids that have the cheap black velvet around a picture in the center that can be colored with markers.

o

Thanks Flower, I will mark it Marmalade. Are there any good Heuchera books out there that will help me with IDs?

o

Although I've never looked through it, Dan Heims of Terra Nova has a book out entitled "Heucheras and Heucherellas, Coral Bells and Foamy Bells". There is also another entitled "Heuchera, Tiarella and Heucherella: A Gardener's Guide" by Charles and Martha Oliver. I haven't looked through that one either.

Other than that, the best way to i.d. is probably via pictures on the net or posting pictures of your plants on this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here