Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vermont Heuchera Trials

Posted by BeverlyMN 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 9:01

Hi, I have not been keeping up on this forum, so I'm catching up this morning. My sister sent me information from the Vermont Heuchera trials. I find it very interesting, for example, Berry Smoothie, which I have purchased now for the second time (first one didn't make it) was listed under some the the least hardy/died in the field:(

If you already had a discussion on this just ignore this post.

perrysperennials.info/Heuchera0612.pdf

Beverly

"There is alway room for one more Heuchera"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vermont Heuchera Trials

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. I am still new to Heuchera and am experimenting with a few since last year. I am disappointed to see Georgia Peach is also listed on the least hardy list. I have 2 and absolutely love them. They have been doing fine but this is only the first season. I also have Obsidian and Canjun Fire, both are 2nd year and doing great. Hope they will be fine as well. One of my criteria is that their colors stay mostly intact during the hot dry summer. So far all 3 are doing fine in this aspect.

Thanks again.
Vivian

o

My Berry Smoothie is doing really well, too. I think it and the others in the bed of which it is growing really like it there. There is no root competition from trees and the soil stays moist for a long time, but not soggy. It and several others struggled in drier soil with root competition from nearby trees. Also my Georgia Peach is doing well. I think it's a matter of location and soil.

Karen

o

Interesting site/results that they got.

I live in Canada...just 1 hour drive north of the border of North Dakota/Manitoba. Our yard is considered a Canadian zone 2b. Last winter we had about 2 inches of snow cover. This amount is about 5x less than normal.

Just a few comments about some of the ones that they listed in the least hardy section and that I grow here...
Berry Smoothie, Electra and Hollywood...have made it thru 2 winters now. Love them.
Midnight Rose...have 2 plants. Both doing just fine...About 4 or 5 years old now.

I have now about 50 plus varieties of heuchera that have survived one or more years here. Only a few haven't done well here. This year I purchased about 20 new to me varieties and hope that they will do well here also.

Georgia Peach I have only tried once and it didn't make it thru its first winter.

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here