Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

Where to plant in this bed?

ajc9
10 years ago

Hello all!

Flowerfrenzy and a few others helped me a lot with some orange variety heuchera suggestions...thank you again! I decided to place some orange specimens around the corner from this bed;)

I'm actually going to purchase some online...bc I just can't find the colors I want locally...

I'm going with three chartruese hosta and two heuchera here...obsidian...in this particular bed. Good combo, I think?

Where would you place them? I'm thinking curved around this japanese maple. Do I stagger them...or...? What do you plant in front of your heuchera? Something lower, I'm sure...so they aren't hidden...:)

Comments (16)

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm just noticing this pic is a bit poor. I'm waiting for the sun to set and will take another photo.

:)

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flower frenzy...you are awesome!!

Here's another photo. This area receives dappled morning sun. The far right next to the post is mostly all shade since its so close to the house. Late afternoon in mid summer it's almost all sun after 3-4.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just googled the sweet flag acorus stuff...I really like it!

The hosta I think I'll choose is August moon...

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

August Moon is a nice hosta. Definitely more of a sprawler than a vase-shaped, though. It can reach up to 42" wide, so take that into account when you plant your heuchs around it. Otherwise, it'll end up looking like your hostas are eating your heuchs for lunch! Lol

That amount of sun should be good for growing hostas and heuchs. I think you mentioned that you've chosen 'Obsidian'. That one will take a full day of sun without burning if adequately watered. It'll stay purple longer if it's in more shade, though, otherwise it'll go greenish in the hot summer months. With that amount of sun, it should stay mostly blackish-purple. Mine always go back to being purple once the weather cools down, even if they go green in August.

Make sure to post pics when you get it all planted!

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know everything...I love it!

What vase-shaped chartruese hosta would u suggest over August moon?

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok...twenty questions!

Would u suggest moving this tree over to the left? Maybe just a personal preference thing again...but the design aspect of gardening isn't my strong point. I loooove it but am a novice!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lol...I definitely don't know everything, but thanks. :)

I'm assuming that's a Japanese Laceleaf Maple? If so, then it'll stay relatively short, but get quite wide in diameter at maturity. I'd leave it centered like that so it has room to grow on all sides and can take on that nice, rounded shape that they have. I'd plant the hostas in front of it, even though they may dwarf the tree at first. If it's not a Laceleaf, and it's a taller variety, planting hostas beneath it should be fine. Beware of tree roots choking out your plants, though. Maples are notorious for sending out feeder roots thAt grow straight through other plants. This can cause an eventual decline in your plant growth. Some people have had good luck putting hostas into pots or those spin-out bags first and then sinking them into the ground. That way the tree roots can't get in.

Hmmm...a vase-shaped chartreuse hosta. One I have that I really like and doesn't get sun burned is called 'Sunny Delight'. It's available through Sebright Gardens.

You could also try looking at Don Rawson's hosta lists. I've included a link for the large, vase-shaped hostas. Just scroll down a bit and the hosta names are listed about 1/4 of the way down the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Large vase-shaped hostas

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

If you're looking for a smaller size, here's a link to the list for small/medium upright hostas. 'Flemish Gold' is a really nice one in that size category. It's available through Sebright Gardens as well. I'm sure you'll find something in there that will fit the bill! Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Small to medium upright/ vase shaped hostas

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You certainly know a lot more than me, flowerfrenzy!!

Yes, it's a laceleaf variety...

Super helpful links!! You know, I had not thought about small hosta to pair with the heuchera. I like that idea. Wow, I had no idea there were so many varieties...!

What perennial do you have planted next to your mahogany heuchera? I like the foliage...almost looks like shiny rosemary or something...

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

That's iberis (candytuft). That one is the typical white-flowering variety. I also have one that flowers pink/lilac and the foliage is a bit darker green.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's so pretty. How long does it bloom? I think it's just a spring bloomer? I'm tempted to purchase....

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

It is only a spring bloomer. Mine is covered with blooms for about 3 weeks. Sometimes I get a bit of re-bloom when I shear it back after the main bloom, but it's pretty sparse. Mine is in partial shade. I think people who grow it in full sun might get better and longer bloom.

It's a pretty common plant (at least the white version). You can probably pick some up at your local home improvement store or WalMart. It may be easier to find in spring than in fall, though.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

You are getting excellent advice from FF. Love her hosta and Heuchera gardens.

One of my favorite vased shaped yellow hosta is Sun Power. You can see Obsidian at the low right corner. In my Zone 5a garden, Obsidian stays dark purple even with mostly afternoon sun.

{{gwi:264865}}

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, flowerfrenzy...it really is pretty...;)

Vivian: Beautiful! Does sun power take a bit of sun? Perhaps since it's near your obsidian heuchera. Is sun power a large variety? i still have my eye on a Giantland sunny mouse ears variety bc its a mini...

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Sun Power thrives in my garden, where it gets all afternoon sun. It was only planted last year so grows fast. It is a big Hosta, vase shaped. So you can under plant heucheras and the combination is striking.

If you are looking for a smaller one, Rainforest sunrise is my favorite. It is a hosta of the year for 2013. I saw lots of them at our local Home Depot. Extremely pretty and can be planted with the heucheras. Most important thing for me is that slugs do not seem to like it so it stays beautiful the whole season. But ii is a smaller plant compared to August Moon.

In my garden, August moon grows to be about 20in tall and twice as wide. They have nice yellow color (receiving a couple hrs of afternoon sun).Only thing is it is a magnet for slugs so by summer it lookd pretty bad.

Good luck and post pictures when you are done.
    Vivian

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting