Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulch used for heucheras

Posted by dazlr z5ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 18:01

I had only the common green coral bell in my garden , then I saw my cousins gardens where he has quite a few heuchera's of different colors and forms.
Then I found several places in Ontario Canada that have mail order or pickup of these gorgeous plants. So I went on a road trip to see one of these places. Purchased Cherries Jubilee, Green spice, and Autumn Haze.
And picked up Pewter Moon, Miracle, Palace Purple, Midnight Rose and a Bressingham hybrid somewhere else yesterday. If the rain stops I might get these planed :)
My question is what do others here use for mulch ? What with all the different colors you would not want to have a mulch that takes away from the wonderful colors of these plants.
Thank you
Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulch used for heucheras

I use either dark colored compost or 3-way soil as mulch. The 3-way soil I buy is an equal mixture of sand, compost and sandy loam. (It also works great when dug into the dirt to break up clay soil.) I've also seen nut shells (such as filbert or hazelnut) and pine needles used. I don't use pine needles, though, as my soil is already acidic because of how much it rains here in the PNW. I don't like the look of bark and I especially don't like the slivers, but that's just personal preference.

o

• Posted by dazlr z5ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 6:49

Thanks again for your advice. Will be ;putting the 3 way on my list to pick up.

o

Cedar mulch on top of plain newspaper layers and compost. It breaks down fast, about a year for the newsprint, two for the mulch, and suppresses weeds wonderfully.
I am lucky though, and have good soil to begin with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here