Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to fix clay soil for heuchera

Posted by dazlr z5ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 18:17

In some parts of my area the soil is fairly heavy clay. Is there a way to make this soil better to grow heuchera ? Thanks for your advice
Wendy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to fix clay soil for heuchera

Some people find that adding gypsum (calcium sulfate) to their clay soil is enough to get it to break up. For me, I have good results when I add organic matter, such as shredded leaves, garden compost, cow manure and shredded bark. Sphagnum peat moss also works well, but will add acidity to the soil, so be sure you want that. Fall is a great time to collect leaves and put them into a shredder or run over them with your lawn mower. Just collect what's in the bag and mix it into your soil. You can also leave it on top as well and let the rains break it down.

It doesn't give instant results; earthworms and microbes have to work on it. But, if you do it year after year, you'll soon have soil that you can practically dig a hole in with your hand.

I find that compost and organic matter is the answer to most soil issues. I had several areas of my garden that were sandy and it worked for those areas as well.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 21:02

o
RE: how to fix clay soil for heuchera

• Posted by dazlr z5ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 6:47

Thank you flower frenzy. We have several large maple trees in the yard so will use the leaves on my own heuchera and other gardens tool

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here