Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

heuchera died

I went heuchera crazy this season and ended up with 13 different ones. Now it seems like every week or so I lose one. I have lost 5 so far and have no idea why. They were beaujolais, delta dawn, midnight rose, palace purple, and golden zebra. Are some just tougher than others? Seems that the lighter colors I have are big and healthy and some others besides the dead ones that are darker are also struggling.

There is no visible bug damage and they all have the same growing conditions.

Comments (15)

• alangrr
    9 years ago

Heuchera usually are healthy plants. I can only offer guesses about your problems. Could it be you have watered them a little too much or gotten a little too much rain? Heuchera can suffer from crown rot if conditions stay a little too moist. They can tolerate occasional dryness. Could you have a mole in your garden? A mole ziggzagging its way thru the roots of flowers could kill them here and there. Powdery mildew afflicts some Heuchera, but usually the light green ones rather than the darker-color ones, and anyway I imagine you'd recognize powdery mildew. Just guesses.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your reply! It seems that too much rain may have been a reason.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am in a colder zone. I don't have experience with Delta Dawn and Golder Zebra. The other 3 are darker and purple ones, which typically are stronger grower for me. They do like some sun light. Actually in my garden, they suffer if not getting sufficient sun exposure so I had to move them.

Agree with the comment about being too wet. All plants hate wet feet, some suffer more than others. You can dig out the dying ones and check on the roots. If they do suffer crown rot, you can amend the soil with more organic matter to help with the drainage (worked for me with heavy clay soil). Also they don't need a lot of water. 4-6 weeks after planting, you can treat them just like other perennial.

Good luck.
    Vivian

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I moved 3 that weren't doing so well to a dryer and brighter area today after reading your comment. Thanks for the advice :-)

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Isn't that just too wierd?

I have never done that welkl with them in deep shade or in areas that don't get sun..Seems the more sun they get the better they do in my yard...And here they are SUPPOSE to be shade plants.lol

I hope your solution works for you..I found amending the soil also helps with composty stuff...

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Try peat moss, lots of it mixed into your soil too. That had made mine flourish when at once they did nothing for years.

MIke

• kimpa zone 9b N. Florida.
    9 years ago

I think the rabbits are eating mine

• cakbu z9 CA
    9 years ago

I started with heuchera in 2014. Put a few in the ground and others in pots so I could move them around to find just the right spot. NONE of the ones in the ground have done diddly-squat. ALL the ones in pots are thriving and most are blooming right now. My soil is so root infested and hard nothing much grows in it.

• User
    9 years ago

They seem to be a favorite food of voles and deer in my neck of the woods. Also, I've found the dark-leaved Heuchera need more sun to keep their leaf stems from developing a fungus. Try planting them a little on the high side and where they will receive some morning sun. They need well-drained soil, but do not let their roots dry out completely between waterings until they are fully established. Some cultivars are better than others...

Heuchera americana 'Green Spice'

Heuchera brizoides 'Plum Pudding'

Heuchera villosa 'Autumn Bride'

Heuchera x villosa 'Caramel', 'Pistache', 'Georgia Peach', 'Berry Smoothie'

Heuchera americana 'Green Spice' (I've had this one for years)

• alvina01
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think your heuchera will like the new location. If you keep them watered punctually and they have a little protection from the much sunlight, they should come back as long as the roots are alive.

• User
    9 years ago

Is there a reasonable online resource for Heucheras, etc? All I see locally are the very common ones. Thanks! Love the Green Spice!

• User
    9 years ago

Please visit our native perennial store where you might find something new. We also offer low flat rate shipping of $5.99 per order. My journal may help with design as well.

www.plantmorenatives.com

Heuchera x villosa 'Berry Smoothie'

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to post an update on my heuchera. They are doing really well. I didn't leave any in complete shade. None recieve any afternoon sun, which I believe is important, especially here in upstate SC. The ones that are in more sun are larger and more vigorous. They have filled out really well already. Many are sending up bloom stalks. My favorite ones are Caramel, Christa, and Rootbeer.

• sevina22
    8 years ago

Glad to see your heuchera are doing well in their new location. What a great looking group you have there!

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County