Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cakbu_gw

Heuchera in the winter?

cakbu
9 years ago

This is my first year with heuchera. I have marmalade, palace purple, caramel, Georgia peach, peppermint spice, peach flambe. They are all doing great. How should I treat them in the winter? Most are in pots, so I can move them around. I have two that are still in the plastic pots (6") that I purchased them in; should I repot them into something bigger? We get occasional frost, should I be concerned and cover them with frost cloth? Do they go dormant? Here in California we are in a drought, but should be get more rainfall this winter, will too much rain affect them? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheryl

Comments (5)

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

With all of your heuchera in pots, the thing I would worry about the most is crown rot. Heuchera don't like to be too wet. If you're going to overwinter them in pots, you should consider bringing them into a covered area near the house. You don't have to bring them inside the garage or anything, but under a porch with a roof overhang would be ideal. That way you can control the amount of water they're getting. Plus, bringing them near the house will usually keep them warm enough to prevent heaving as a result of frosts and thaws. The leaves usually do just fine with frosts-it's the heaving that seems to be the biggest problem.

As far as watering goes-as with hosta overwintering in pots-only water them very sparingly when the soil seems dry.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

In California, I would not worry about heucheras in winter :-)) Even in containers. I grow a lot of heuchs in containers and typically overwinter several varieties in their nursery sized pots. No issues at all.

They are very frost hardy and freeze/thaw issues are not a problem as your soil will not freeze. As long as the potting soil is freely draining - and most nursery soils are - I wouldn't even worry about protecting them from rain. We tend to get a lot more rain here in winter in the PNW than you do in CA and mine are all out fully exposed to the elements. In fact, the only ones I have had winter issues with are those on my covered front porch which sometimes get a bit too dry (who remembers to water in winter??) and then are inclined to develop rust.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Ditto gardengal's observations. Good idea to repot the 2 still in grower's pots now, since their roots & often foliage continue to expand. They're evergreen (ever-hued?) here in central Virginia. Frost & deep freeze don't bother them, even out in the open garden with only a light layer of shed oak leaves around them, so wouldn't be concerned. They usually don't go dormant here overwinter, though last year's extreme & extended cold caused some tattered leaves toward the tail end of the season. both for potted & planted heuchs & tiarellas, and our Winters are typically wet. The foliage often lays down during freezes & rises again afterwards. Those in planters on our covered front porch did need to be watered during mild spells, with warm water when the soil was frosty but open, as well as before cold was forecast so they didn't chill when dry.

Happy to hear yours are doing so well! You're in for another treat when they take on different hues for the coming season & then change back again in Spring. Enjoy!.

• Kellysmith4
    9 years ago

I was also facing the same problem but one of closest relative suggested me to read guideline, how to plant heuchera at hostasdirect.com

Here is a link that might be useful: learn how to plant heuchera

This post was edited by Kellysmith4 on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 3:58

• Kellysmith4
    9 years ago

I was also facing the same problem but one of closest relative suggested me to read guideline, how to plant heuchera at hostasdirect.com

Here is a link that might be useful: learn how to plant heuchera

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm