Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tking66

Full Sun Heucheras or Heucherellas

Delphinium zone5
10 years ago

I have a new berm that I would like to plant with some Heucheras. This area receives full sun. I was checking out the link to Casita Azul, (Flower Frenzy you are such an enabler:)) and saw a few that were listed full sun. I'm just wondering if anyone has had luck with heucheras in full sun, and if so which kind? A few of the ones I'm looking at are Miracle, Peach Crisp and Kassandra.

Terri

Comments (16)

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks flower-frenzy for all your great information! I bought two today, Caramel and Georgia Peach. I'm still debating where I want to put them, but after hearing about your success with them in sun I'll probably give it a try. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. I just might order from Casita Azul as well, they have some varieties that I can't find locally.

Wow, 70 different varieties! I didn't know there were that many! These are as addicting as hostas! Thanks again for all your info flower-frenzy! I'll keep you posted and let you know what I order.

Terri

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

Hi Terri,

Flower-Frenzy is an excellent enabler and I have so much enjoyed her posts and beautiful pictures.

I live just south of you in the Northwestern Subs of Chicago. I grow most of my heucheras in full sun or mostly sunny locations. Below are the ones doing really well for me, without extra need for water. I pretty much treat them like sun perennials:
    1. Frosted Violets (absolute love this one, beautiful violet color, and tall and strong),
    2. Obsidian (Dark Purple, color stays nice all summer)
    3. Caramel (nice yellow)
    4. Belle Note (lots of pink blooms)
    5. Frost (small plant and so cute. Used to be my favorite until I got Frosted Violet)
    6. Cajun Fire

The following are in a place with 3-4 hours hot sun and have been doing great:
    Georgia peach (big and beautiful)
    Fire Alarm
    Paris (best heucheras with the longest hot pink blooms)
    Berry Smoothie (just got it a couple months ago after seeing FF's pictures)

You can not go wrong with Casita Azul. I have been ordering from them for the last 3 years for the ones that can not be found in local stores. high quality and good service. Their plants grow very well.

Good luck.
    Vivian

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Vivian, I'm glad to hear you have had luck with Casita Azul. This sale is great, and no shipping costs, I'm trying to rein myself in though. Fire Alarm and Berry Smoothie are two that I am interested in, however they are sold out. Maybe I'll add them to my list for spring. I have 9 in my cart so far, but I need to narrow it down a bit. Have either of you grown the Heucherella Copper Cascade, Sunrise Falls or Redstone Falls? Those three look interesting to me and they sound as though they will spread like a groundcover. Pics would be great if you have them!

Terri

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I don't grow any of the Cascade series myself, but I just saw 'Copper Cascade' at my local nursery. The color is really beautiful.

'Berry Smoothie' is definitely one to put on your list for next year. The color is intense and amazing. It's not one that will take full sun, though. It likes at least afternoon shade.

'Fire Alarm' is great also. It's the reddest one I own. Good grower as well.

Here's a recent picture of my 'Berry Smoothie'.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of 'Fire Alarm' taken this morning. The cooler Fall weather really intensifies its red coloration.

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flower-frenzy, I love the bright colors of those two heucheras, definitely on my list for spring! Here's a pic of the Georgia Peach I picked up this week.

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is Caramel. Both of these really show up well on the berm. I love the pink reverse on these leaves.

• Delphinium zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's my last one I have in a part shade. It's Southern Comfort. I really like this one as well, the leaves are huge.

Thanks for looking!
    Terri

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Terri-those are looking really good. I grow all 3, and it would be hard to pick a favorite out of them. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

• Janet Skaggs
    4 years ago
    I'm in oklahoma- zone 7 ... is. It correct to. Assume that there are no heucheras that can handle Oklahoma afternoon sun?
  • dbarron
    4 years ago

Janet, I wouldn't. I found they slowly dwindle and die in full sun in Arkansas. The best place I've found is almost total shade (along N side of house) where they all flourish with bright light.

• Janet Skaggs
    4 years ago
    Thank you for your response, even though it makes me sad. I'm having trouble finding a perennial that will take no morning sun and only afternoon sun from 1-4 or 4:30 it's an area adjacent to green velvet boxwoods
  • dbarron
    4 years ago

Look at glade/savannah native plants. That could work, though that's the most undesirable sun (imo).

• Merry_gardener Ohio 5b
    4 years ago

Janet Skaggs...Penstemon? Salvias? Gaillardia?

• almosthooked zone5
    4 years ago

I am not sure if the sun is much hotter in your zone 7 but they seem to be doing okay in my zone 5 plus weather and we get lots of summer weather in the 80s F. plus I do not know what the names of mine are anymore as I usually grow hosta and shade gardens but these seem to be doing great in the two years I have had in the sun. I needed something on the west side of my house and they look better then my shade ones now. They do get lots of water so maybe that is the secret

Please excuse the mess, we have had it very windy the past couple days and I am still cleaning up

Faye