Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

I love heucheras!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I really do! They are gorgeous, look great long after everything else in my garden has started to decline and keep me guessing by changing their colors in warm and cool weather. Plus, they're super tough despite the fact that their exotic colors and patterns make them look like they might be temperamental.

Another great thing about them is that most of them are tolerant of a wide variety of light conditions, which make them easy to plant just about anywhere!

This first one is a heucherella called 'Brass Lantern'. I've posted a picture of it before, but I felt that it deserved another one. Mainly because it's grown so well and the color has changed. Who wouldn't want a plant that looks like this in their garden?

Comments (30)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's 'Blackberry Crisp'. I love the purples!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a newer one from Terra Nova called 'Zipper'. I've posted a picture of this one earlier, but the cooler weather has made the colors really pop. I had a neighbor walk into my yard yesterday just to ask me what it was because she could see it from the street!

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 18:22

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's 'Amber Waves'. I appreciate the subtle colors on this one.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Delta Dawn' is one that keeps me guessing. When I first bought it, the leaves were bright green with red veins. Then, the leaves turned only green without the veins. Now, the new growth coming up in the center is bright red.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is an interesting heucherella called 'Cumberland'. I love the blackish purple color in the center of the leaves.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A gorgeous purple variety called 'Frosted Violet'. This one has a silvery gray tint over the leaves that make it fascinating to look at.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 18:04

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Encore' looks promising. I love the colors.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dolce Peach Melba' is looking especially pretty with its bright Fall colors!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one I've posted a previous picture of that deserves a second mention is 'Fire Alarm'. Look at that amazing red color! Wow!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Sashay' is a great one. It looks like one could cut a finger on those sharp-edged leaves!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm in love with 'Kassandra'. Besides the colors being drop dead gorgeous, the plant itself is supposed to get quite large. She should make an impressive display once fully grown.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

People who think green heuchera are boring have obviously not seen 'Apple Crisp'!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one for the day is 'Electra'. This one needs afternoon shade or else the leaves get brown and crispy. The "wow" pattern and color make it worthwhile to find the right placement for it, though.

As always, thanks for looking. Happy Fall!

• lesmc
    10 years ago

I get excited when I see you have posted pictures of your beautiful heucheras! I have started a small collection and am planning on more next spring! I planted several Circus and they really brightened up the garden. Thanks for sharing ! lesley

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lesley. I'd be interested in seeing pictures of your 'Circus' heuchera. I recently ordered 10+ different heucheras/ellas from Casita Azul (awaiting shipment) and 'Circus' was one of them. It sounds fascinating. It's described as having warm peach leaves with red veins in the spring, changing to bright chartreuse with red veins later in the season. All of this topped off with deep reddish-purple scapes and hot pink to red flowers in the summer. It sounds amazing! How are yours doing for you?

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    10 years ago

FF, Love your heucheras and you take beautiful pictures.

Here are some of mine taken today, before the frost hits us tomorrow night. Work has been crazy so I have not had much time to take care of the garden. It is this time of year when I am most amazed by the heucheras.

Thanks for looking.
    Vivian

Frost

Obsidian

Paris Today

Paris in August
    {{gwi:264866}}

Hosta June with Heuchera Geogia Peach

Geogia Peach. This is one of my favorite. Color did not fade at all during the hot summer days

Fire Alarm. Love the bright color

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lovely pictures, Vivian. Thanks for posting them. Don't you just love 'Georgia Peach'? Definitely in my top five! Heuchera 'Fire Alarm' is right up there as well for outstanding red color.

I don't have 'Paris' yet. I love the hot pink flowers against the green foliage.

10 years ago

FF, Thanks for the note. Yes. Georgia Peach is indeed very lovely and grows fast. What I love it the most is that the color does not fade during the summer. My camera does not do it justice. I wish I had the technuies like you do with the colors and camera.

Paris was new to me. I planted last fall (ordered from Casita Azul). It is almost a mature plant now. The hot pink bloom with the foliage is very pretty.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

These are a bunch of beauties. Thanks for posting all the great pics. I have 'Georgia Peach' and 'Electra', and I love them. I have a couple more, but I'm uncertain of their names.

Cheers,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Don. Nice to see you here in the heuchera forum for a change. Not many people on this forum yet. I keep posting, though.

Hopefully you'll catch heuchera fever just like you've caught hosta fever. That way I'll have one more person to enable over here! Lol!

10 years ago

Welcome Don to this forum. When almost all of my hostas start to shut down (except Hosta June and First Frost), we still have the heucheras to enjoy. Most of them can be every green, even in our long hard cold winter of Chicago.

Flower-Frenzy is a great enabler and I have truly enjoyed her beautiful heucheras!
    Vivian

10 years ago

Flower Frenzy, By the way, your Frosted Violet looks great. I love those thick violet leaves with silvery grey lines. I bought 3 from Casita Azul in late August, all very robust and healthy (as always for their plants). I planted them in a full sun garden and we will see if they like them next summer. They suppose to get big (20x24'') so can't wait to see them mature next year.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Vivian. I like 'Frosted Violet' as well. Mine's still kind of small because I just got it from Hallson's in October. (Very good sized for a brand new plant, though!) Mine is in full sun as well. The leaves are thick, so I think it can handle it. I saw a mature one this summer at a nursery in the Puget Sound and it was stunning. Very different from other purples because of the silver-white veil on the leaves. I knew that I had to have it! (Of course, I have to have all of them...but I REALLY had to have that one! Lol!)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, FlowerFrenzy and Vivian. Yes, from time to time I lurk around the heuchera forum and check out the beautiful pics. I think heucheras are the perfect companions for hosta (and vice-versa). Glad to know they are fairly durable, even though they have a beauty that looks a bit delicate. I envision myself getting a bunch more next spring. : )

Don B.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

f-f. I am definitely buying Zipper next year, wow.

Here's my fall favorite, Ginger Snap.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like 'Gingersnap' also. Yours looks great!

'Zipper' is well worth getting. I think it's one that should be on everyone's must buy list.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I love the bold color of 'Fire Alarm'. What a nice plant. Yup, it's going on 'the list'. : )

Don B.

• springcolor
    10 years ago

Haven't popped in here for a long time. I love these plants as well. flower-frenzy I noted that you are in the PNW I'm in the Everett area. These are a few of mine.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, springcolor, those are gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing them. I love the green pots. They really offset the bright color of the heucheras/ellas.

Actually, I'm in Vancouver WA (about 10 miles outside of Portland, OR). Where are you?

• springcolor
    10 years ago

I'm up north near Everett. I was hopping you were close.
    'Beauty of Color'

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets