Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

How do you find your Heuchera?

docmom_gw
11 years ago

I'm curious where the serious growers get their plants. I moved into a mainly shady yard nearly a year ago. We've now been through all of the seasons, so I feel like I know the yard well enough to get to work making it what I want it to be. So, are there preferred online sources? Do people grow from seed? I've tried that and it seems slow. Can Heuchera be propagated by cuttings or by splitting the root ball like hostas? Or do you just pick them up at your nearby nursery/garden center? I only have one mature plant, that I transplanted from my other house, but I love it because it's beautiful year round. And mine has been blooming to some extent all summer and fall. It had a flush of blooms in early summer, but there has been 1-3 flower stalks throughout the season. And they last forever! My biggest problem with Heuchera is their small size. I have almost 2 acres, with most of it either grass or flower beds under tall oaks and pines. In the fall, everything gets buried in a very thick layer of oak leaves and pine needles. The current beds are almost completely taken over by Lily of the Valley, Lamium, and English Ivy. I'd love to get rid of these and replace with ferns, Heuchera, foxglove, hosts, etc. So, I need LOTS of heuchera. I do't even need fancy ones. Just hardy, healthy-looking specimens that I can mulch around. So, where do you get your plants? TIA for any info. By the way, I do have an indoor light set-up and I have coleus cuttings rooting (hopefully). So, if rooting cuttings over winter is an option, I could do that.

Martha

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!