RE: Last pictures before winter

Under crabapple tree

o

Tiarellas 'Crows Feather', 'Iron Butterfly, 'Pirates Patch'
Heuchera 'Citronelle, 'Encore', 'Peach Melba', 'Blackout'

o

Heuchera among the Hosta, north side yard.

o

Lovely gardens, unbidden. It looks like you have a nice amount of space for planting. I love tiarella 'Iron Butterfly'!

o

Very pretty garden. You have done such a good job. Lesley

o

Very nice!

Don B.

o

Unbidden, I was looking through old posts to get ideas on how to plant a new bed with heuchera, hosta and ferns. I have the heuch's and hostas in but am wondering how to integrate the ferns. What have you tried in your gardens that you have liked as far as mixing the three and placement, textures, colors, etc...?

Don, FF, anyone else?

o

Ghost ferns have an odd color, grey-green that looks good against the black centered Tiarellas or dark purples and silver Heucheras. Ghost ferns stand stiffly upright about 2' , making a good backdrop. Most ferns droop.

o

Eared Lady Fern at the base of a crab apple tree surrounded by Heuchera.

o

Heuchera between Ferns Dre's Dagger and Frizzel. Both ferns are unusual forms and upright. Good for putting plants under.

o

Looking closely at the photo above you can see a fern frond near the ground close to the top 'Sweet Tea'. That is a baby ostrich fern, something I have been pulling out like a weed for the past three years. They are beautiful large plants that spread underground, like bamboo. they are also perfectly round, taking up a huge space, and if happy, grow too dense to easily see through.
Japanese Painted ferns are stunning. They grow 2' x 2' and hug the ground. You can't really put anything under them, but they are everywhere in my garden, and multiple happily. I love them next to black and orange heuchera. The picture show then against a wall with Autumn ferns and a lady fern.

o

Gorgeous pictures, unbidden. I only have 1 fern in my garden. This has definitely inspired me to buy more!

o

Thanks so much, Unbiddenn. I have seen ghost fern in nurseries and will definitely try that one. Love the color and that it is upright. Japanese Painted ferns grow good for me. I will look into the others you showed. Great pics!

o

I have a wonderful stand of Maidenhair Ferns, an exceptional fern for pairing with perennials because its fronds don't grow from the ground. A strong black stem grows from the ground about a foot tall, the fern spreads out on top like a hand on a stick.
Initially I planted three separate clumps of Maidenhair Fern, but after a few years and too much effort in two areas, all live happily in a quiet humusy corner.
pic to come when the plant reappears.

o

What a feast for the eye! Inspiring to say the least.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here