• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tiarellas 'Crows Feather', 'Iron Butterfly, 'Pirates Patch'
    Heuchera 'Citronelle, 'Encore', 'Peach Melba', 'Blackout'

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heuchera among the Hosta, north side yard.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Lovely gardens, unbidden. It looks like you have a nice amount of space for planting. I love tiarella 'Iron Butterfly'!

• lesmc
    10 years ago

Very pretty garden. You have done such a good job. Lesley

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Very nice!

Don B.

• HeuchHogan
    9 years ago

Unbidden, I was looking through old posts to get ideas on how to plant a new bed with heuchera, hosta and ferns. I have the heuch's and hostas in but am wondering how to integrate the ferns. What have you tried in your gardens that you have liked as far as mixing the three and placement, textures, colors, etc...?

Don, FF, anyone else?

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ghost ferns have an odd color, grey-green that looks good against the black centered Tiarellas or dark purples and silver Heucheras. Ghost ferns stand stiffly upright about 2' , making a good backdrop. Most ferns droop.

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Eared Lady Fern at the base of a crab apple tree surrounded by Heuchera.

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heuchera between Ferns Dre's Dagger and Frizzel. Both ferns are unusual forms and upright. Good for putting plants under.

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking closely at the photo above you can see a fern frond near the ground close to the top 'Sweet Tea'. That is a baby ostrich fern, something I have been pulling out like a weed for the past three years. They are beautiful large plants that spread underground, like bamboo. they are also perfectly round, taking up a huge space, and if happy, grow too dense to easily see through.
    Japanese Painted ferns are stunning. They grow 2' x 2' and hug the ground. You can't really put anything under them, but they are everywhere in my garden, and multiple happily. I love them next to black and orange heuchera. The picture show then against a wall with Autumn ferns and a lady fern.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, unbidden. I only have 1 fern in my garden. This has definitely inspired me to buy more!

• HeuchHogan
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, Unbiddenn. I have seen ghost fern in nurseries and will definitely try that one. Love the color and that it is upright. Japanese Painted ferns grow good for me. I will look into the others you showed. Great pics!

• unbiddenn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a wonderful stand of Maidenhair Ferns, an exceptional fern for pairing with perennials because its fronds don't grow from the ground. A strong black stem grows from the ground about a foot tall, the fern spreads out on top like a hand on a stick.
    Initially I planted three separate clumps of Maidenhair Fern, but after a few years and too much effort in two areas, all live happily in a quiet humusy corner.
    pic to come when the plant reappears.

• jadie88
    9 years ago

What a feast for the eye! Inspiring to say the least.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County