Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brass Lantern advice

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 18:59

Brass Lantern advice

I bought one this spring but have yet to plant it.

Before I could plant it, some critter dug it out of the pot and tossed it around. I was out of town and didn't see it right away. It was thoroughly wilted. Though it had been in a gallon pot, the rootball was more suited in size to a quart. But perhaps some roots were lost in the process. I replanted it in the pot and have been babying it along to have it recover before planting. That was about a month ago. The tag was lost in the tossing about, and I wanted to get more info on it first. It has perked up, though some leaves have remained wilted.

Question 1: Considering it is mid October, am I better off sinking it pot and all into my vegetable garden, and covering it with leaves? Rather than stressing it out further by planting now?

The place I want to put it gets morning sun from about 9 am til 1 pm. But it's surrounded by concrete patio so it can be pretty intense. Obsidian and Stormy Seas did just fine in that bed. Miracle fried and pooped out.

Question 2: is this a good siting for Brass Lantern? Can it handle that much sun?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brass Lantern advice

I think Brass Lantern would do fine in that bed. Mine gets sun during the early to mid-late afternoon, during the hottest time of the day, and it's next to a concrete patio, and it's doing fine as long as I water it deeply every few days. The soil there tends to dry out pretty quickly. As for burying it pot and all, I think it would be a good idea. It is too late in the year to plant heuchera. They don't have the greatest root system to begin with and are prone to heaving if they aren't established.

Karen

o
RE: Brass Lantern advice

Thanks, Karen. I was thinking it was too late to plant. It looks like I dithered too long. If it survives the winter planted out in the vegetable bed, at least I know where to put it next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here