Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

New Heuchera/Heucherella!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I keep promising that I'm done for the season. Well, you know how that goes! Here are some new ones I've picked up during the last few days at my local nurseries. The sales are really great right now, so I can't resist. (At least, that's what I keep telling myself anyway.)

First up is a ruffled dark purple heuchera called 'Midnight Ruffles'.

Comments (14)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This heuchera is called 'Zipper'. I love it. Like an even brighter, more ruffled version of the ever popular 'Marmalade'.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 19:19

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heucherella 'Solar Eclipse'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heuchera 'Raspberry Ice'. I'm going to have to plant this one next to a blue hosta. That should really bring out the colors!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heucherella 'Cracked Ice'. Multiple colors on this one. I love it!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heuchera 'Peach Crisp' just beginning to show it's brighter, peachier fall colors.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heuchera 'Bella Notte'. This will be covered with hot pink flowers come summer. I can't wait!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, this is heuchera 'Cherry Cola' showing both the "cherry" and the "cola" colors.

As always, feel free to leave your comments and add your own pictures if you'd like to. Thanks for looking!

• socks
    10 years ago

Do you have spots for all of those in the ground? I caved in too, yesterday, and picked up Peach Melba which will look nice with the Key Lime Pie in the garden. I love the more vibrant ones like Solar Eclipse and Zipper, but I don't see those in the nurseries. Even Peach Melba is pretty "tame."
    (And I didn't find a sale, either! Darn.)

I see your little hosta in a pot. I ripped mine out this past spring because I was tired of battling slugs and bugs eating them up. Potted is a good idea.

Thanks for the photos of your beautiful heuch's.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi socks. Yes, I do have spaces for all of these in the ground...I just haven't planted them yet. It's been pouring down buckets of rain here for the past week. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow through Saturday, so I'll get out and put them in the ground then.

I have 'Peach Melba' and it's a very pretty one. Strong grower, too... at least for me. If you're looking for variety and can't find them locally, Casita Azul is a great online seller with a huge selection. I've included a link to their website. They are having a year end sale right now where all heuchera/heucherella are 30% off if you enter the code IMPERFECT at checkout.

I pot up lots of hosta and grow them that way, mainly due to space. I do notice that the ones in pots don't get chewed by bugs and slugs very often. To overwinter them, I put them into my unheated garage or beneath the overhang of my front porch. Rain is an issue here, so I put them in there to prevent them from sogging out and possibly rotting over the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casita Azul

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of my Dolce 'Peach Melba'. I think it's a pretty one!

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Great score! I think 'Cracked Ice' is my favourite - those colours are quite amazing. I planted a 'Cherry Cola' this summer and it has been really pretty all season.
    Jan

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Excellent score! Solar Eclipse is my best performer, even my most jaded Gardner heuchera friends covet it because it shows wonderfully in every season. Never a dull moment with that one!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know about 'Solar Eclipse', unbidden. There are a few I've purchased in hopes of getting that color combo, such as 'Miracle', but it's nice to know that SE actually delivers the goods!'

• socks
    10 years ago

Thank you for link, Flower Frenzy. I'm in zone 9 and everything sits in the ground all winter. Hopefully we get some rain this winter.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert