Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun tolerant heuchera?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 20:22

Are any of these ? Brass Lantern, Yellowstone Falls, Caramel ?

I have a bed that gets morning light til about 2 pm, and is shaded by the house after that. I ideally, I wanted a yellow green color, to contrast with the Obsidian I have growing (well) there.

3 of the 4 yellow green Miracle I planted there 3 years ago are now dead. Though these were just the right color and form for this spot, it looks like next year I will have to rethink my choices for replacements. From what I have read here, that color can't seem to take too much sun. I'm basically looking for something that isn't green, or silver/green (of which I have lots in other beds), or purple (because I have these 6 Obsidian already).

Otherwise, I would welcome suggestions for other plants that ARE yellow-green, of a similarly neat and low growing form for a foreground, formal front entryway. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun tolerant heuchera?

My Caramel is in full all day sun and does fantastic.
Cher

o

I don't know about Yellowstone Falls since I don't have it, but I have the other two and they get early to mid afternoon sun and grow next to a concrete patio and are doing fine, so I think yours should do fine too. Just remember to give them a good drink when the soil gets dry or they'll start crisping a bit, but bounce back.

Karen

o

Thanks!

o

Cher, Your Caramel is lovely. When was the picture taken?

Linnea, Sorry to hi-jack this way. I have been thinking about adding a yellow one as mine are all purple and peach colored. And they all also have to be sun (almost full sun) tolerant as well.

Thanks in advance!
Vivian

o

No problem, Vivian. Maybe someone will have a suggestion for us! I love the contrast between the deep purple of Obsidian and chartreuse. I echo that with my annual plantings that include both those colors of sweet potato vine. I have Key Lime Pie elsewhere (in full shade). but it's my understanding that it does not handle full sun.

o

Thanks Vivian. I am not positive on the photo, but either this May or June. I just sized the photos this month and it changed the save date. I am getting ready to do a post over the Winter on my blog and was playing with the photos. I know it was already close to summer as the Sedum around it is already full green (it's already turned red for the Winter)and was in the 90's. This is one on my front corner where the driveway and walk is. With this horrendous summer I got a few burned leaves on everything in my yard, but all the Heuchera did no more in this area than maybe a few burned leaves. I did have to take Tiramisu out of there as it couldn't handle it and added another Caramel where it was.
Cher

o

It my understanding that Tiramisu and Miracle are closely related. Certainly when I bought them, I could not tell them apart. Maybe that explains why 3 out of 4 Miracle fizzled and died in my sunny concrete rimmed spot, (except for the one whose base has protected by other plants), while 3 Tiramisu, same age, planted in shade, have done well. Though I would never call it a vigorous plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here