Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heucheras after winter storms

Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 7:17

Given that much of the country is just now melting (or maybe piling higher, depending how far north you are) from a massive winter storm, how are did you Heucheras weather it? I am just waiting to buy my first one, but given that arum italicum and a few other winter green perennials experienced a lot of broken leaves...I was just wondering how Heucheras did?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heucheras after winter storms

We had a big (well, for us anyway) snow and ice storm here. A few leaves on my heuchera look a bit shriveled, but otherwise most of them look pretty good. The lime green ones, like 'Electra' and 'Lime Ruffles' seem to be the worst, followed by a few of the orangey ones like 'Sweet Tea' and 'Doce Peach Melba'. The dark-leaved ones, like 'Blackout' and 'Midnight Rufhles' look like they weren't even touched.

None of them look like they did in the Spring-Fall months, but overall I'm impressed with how well these plants hold up in the winter. Most of mine still have quite a bit of color. They're nice bright spots on an otherwise dreary and soggy-looking tableau.

o
RE: Heucheras after winter storms

• Posted by edie_h 5aNY (Finger Lakes) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 17:29

I saw mine the the last time we had a thaw and they were fine. Still colorful. They do get flattened by the weight of snow on top of them, but through the early part of winter they can usually pop up again when uncovered. By spring the old leaves are tired, but then they produce new growth. We're in the middle of another snowstorm so they're completely buried again.

I have one each of Pistache, Southern Comfort, Caramel, and Midnight Rose. Two of Venus. I didn't add to the collection this year, so all of these spent last winter with me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here