Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool Weather Color Changes?

Posted by Flankatten 8A (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 16:13

Hello and Happy New Year!

Winters are pretty mild here in southwest Washington State. I bought some 'Sweet Tea' foamy bells this summer and was surprised to find that they turned red when the weather cooled! I am now even more intrigued by these lovely plants. Does anyone else have coral bells or foamy bells that have taken on a significantly different color palette in cold weather? I would love to see pictures!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool Weather Color Changes?

Great picture, Flankatten. I love the reds!

One of the reasons I like heuchs so much is that they're one of the few plants I grow that look good 4 seasons out of the year. My favorite seasons for them are Spring and Fall because of the color changes. I find that mine are brightest in October when the weather cools down.

Here's a picture of my brightest one. It's called 'Zipper'. It looked better before the big freeze we just had, but you get the idea.

o

Here's another one of my favorites called 'Georgia Peach'. This one looks good pretty much all of the time.

o

This one is a heucherella called 'Cracked Ice'. I love the serrated leaves and the fall colors are excellent.

o

'Pear Crisp' has great fall colors too!

o

If you like the reds, it's hard to beat heucherella 'Brass Lantern' for color.

o

'Cherry Cola' is multi-colored in the fall.

o

Wow, flower-frenzy! Thanks for sharing those! The colors on that 'Cherry Cola' really are intriguing and I love the gradient of pinks on your 'Brass Lantern'. I'll definitely be looking for 'Georgia Peach' come spring. :D

o

Glad you enjoyed the pictures. :)

I think that 'Georgia Peach' should be in everyone's garden. It really is a knockout. The color is intense and the leaves are just huge!

What's interesting to me is that 'Cherry Cola' and 'Brass Lantern' look nothing like they do now during the spring and summer months. 'Cherry Cola' tends to be a reddish brown color and 'Brass Lantern' is a brassy golden orangey yellow color. It's almost like I'm looking at a brand new plant each time the seasons change.

o

Great pics, FlowerFrenzy and Flankatten. I only have 5 heucheras, but one of 'em is 'Georgia Peach' and it's definately my favorite of the 5.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 23:13

o

ONLY 5!!!!!!! How is that possible?!?!? Lol...

Don, you definitely need more heucheras...,

o

LOL I know, FlowerFrenzy. There was a time I only had 5 hostas in the garden. I must start somewhere. Don't worry, I'll get more heucheras. A lot more. : )

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here