Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diseased 'knobbly' leaves

Posted by pngphil 11 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 08 at 22:09

Anyone know what this disease is spreading through the leaves of my hibiscus hedge? Any ways to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

Phil

Image link: Diseased 'knobbly' leaves (33 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diseased 'knobbly' leaves

I've had the same thing happen to 3 of my hibiscus. They eventually look stunted and gnarled and don't grow properly. I presented a picture to the forum about 2 years ago and no one seemed to know what it was. In every case the plants eventually died. It looks like some sort of disease to me. I've lifted the plant out of the ground to check the roots and the roots look fine. I'm very sorry to hear that whatever it is has infected your hedge. If I find out what it is I'll let you know.

Andrea

o
RE: Diseased 'knobbly' leaves

Hi Andrea, You have Erinose Mite. Treat by pruning plant in Spring, ensuring to remove all leaves. Dispose of all foliage in bin. Feed plant with high nitrogen food and keep feeding it regularly with good NPK food suited for Hibiscus or roses or azalea -(forever will keep mite away). Spray monthly with Lawn Grub killer (Endosulphan)for 3 months, then 6 monthly, then when plant is healthy and fed well, once a year thereafter.

Also, vigilance to remove any leaf with tiny galls on it helps.

Where are you? America? as I don't think Erinose mite is known of there yet, but it will get there, so you might be one of the first.

Good luck, Brian.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here