Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josie869

bugs in soil

josie869
18 years ago

Hi I have a hibiscus that I repotted an brought inside for the second winter. it got too big for it's pot and stopped flowering. I'm trying to get it to flower with fish fertilizer that I just added today. Well, several hours after I did that there were dozens of little millipedes or a similar bug on the top of the soil. I never noticed this before today , so I dug them out as best I could. I do see a few more. Does anyone have a suggestion for an insectiside to add to the soil, or some other suggestion?

i read somewhere to submerge the pot in water so them swim to the top to look for air and then they'll just go down the drain.

Any suggestions are helpful.

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

I may be wrong, but don't think so: I'm pretty sure the bugs are commonly refered to as roly-poly's. If so, they're harmless. They munch on dead material, so shouldn't hurt your plant.
    Although, they are unslightly. I'd do the "submerge in water" thing, gather up what you find (alive) and put them in your garden. They'll help amend your soil.
    Barb

• jean001
    18 years ago

In order to try to ID critters in pots and such, we need details such as size, shape, color, number of legs, and whatever else you notice.

Of course, a sharp close-up picture *really* helps.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner