Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lookin4you2xist

not sure if the chinese hibiscus will make it

lookin4you2xist
14 years ago

We were at freezing for about 2 hours I guess in St. Pete. I have never seen it that cold. Should I break out the butter yet? I think it may be toast =/

Anyone ever have them come back in the Spring? Not a huge deal, I bought the plant for 10$, but my other hibiscus all look fine no damage. I am new to them, so I really have no idea on what to expect. I read to peel a little wood back to see if it is still alive? Any suggestions ? Or, just leave it where it is and wait till Spring? No idea here, I grow roses as a rule.

Thank You Very Much for any info!

Andrew

Comments (2)

• lookin4you2xist
    Original Author
    14 years ago

http://www.exotichibiscus.com/specials.cfm is the link of the type of hibiscus I am talking about , IF it helps.

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

If it only got below freezing for two hours, it should be fine, no matter how bad it looks now. Scraping the bark to look for green is a good idea. That way you'll know whether or not to care for it through the next cold snap. If (or when) it happens, cover the hibiscus with a sheet. As long as the below temps don't last for more than an hour or so, it should make it 'til spring.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner