Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wanda9fl

Should I cut back my Hibiscus acetosella?

wanda9fl
17 years ago

I bought one of these plants last year. When I got it, it was about five feet tall....two spikes straight up.

It continues to grow taller, but never fills out.

Should I cut it back? How far? Does it root easily? In water? With rooting hormone?

Thanks,

Wanda

Comment (1)

• njoynit
    17 years ago

So is yours the red leafed one?It would possibly have red flowers late in the year?

I grew a red leafed one also known as red shield hibiscus.I had got a cutting rooted& she had included seeds as well.I read it grew 4-6 ft,but I think thats IF you trim them......Mine was more like 10 ft tall 5 ft wide& achived a new shape& direction durring Hurrican Rita.Though it was quiet woody it did not return for me in zone 8b Tx.Being I missed the flowers.I didn't get seed.

You can trim its side branches and it will make the plant bushier.You can crop the top and it will bush out too.My side branches we're long.I grow an 'october rose' thats an acetosella & blooms in october late sept.The one I broke top on with hanging basket WAS a fuller plant,by accident& I had trimmed some of its size on the sides cause my cannas were there too.....so one side of plant was full one was sparse.

I didn't root any of the red.It was sent rooted,but had to overwinter& just did not like going in the ground.My october rose roots real easy....any part.even the green,but grows well from seed so I don't bother.I DO collect the seedlings that sprut come spring.....cause of the size of these plants when you have a long growing season. I didn't use rooting hormone.but sometimes I will use MG root stater plus it has vitemins for the first few waterings.

I did have 2 seedlings that fit your '2 long tall spikes'discription. They we're in poor soil& not fertilized much (feeder hose don't reach....I'd kill for a cordless watering hose...ha HA)few blooms too& not mulched.

You don't have any pictures do you?

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer