Return to the Hibiscus Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How fast do hibs grow from seed?

Posted by daniellalell 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 1, 08 at 11:22

I just started some hib seeds Friday 12-28. I already have 4 sprouts as of this morning. I am wondering how fast these grow when started from seed? I have them under lights with bottom heat. Any info from folks who have started these from seed would be appreciated. Was hoping I could get a heads up on how soon I am going to have to expand my set-up for these guys.
thank you,
Daniella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How fast do hibs grow from seed?

Daniella, I've never started them inside, however, I've
winter sown them regularly. They did well and I even got
blooms the second year...I've heard that from some, you
may even get them to bloom the first year. I transplanted
several from my holding bed and have more to go. Which
ones are you growing?

Good luck!
Margaret

o

Hey Margaret, I was tempted to winter sow them but chickened out, lol. I have hardies, Southern Belle mix. Only had 10 seeds, so I didnt want to try my luck outside. From what I read, starting these inside early, I should have blooms this summer. This is my first year starting seeds so early inside. Normally I wait till Early April and sow on my enclosed back porch. I hope I dont lose these.
Which kinds do you have?
Daniella

o

You definitely will have blooms the first summer if sowed indoors in winter.

o

I grow many plants from seeds. It can take up to 2 years before they will bloom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hibiscus Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here