Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

new to hibiscus (southern california)

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hello, I've seen a lot of hibiscus in my area that seem to be pretty happy and we went to Hawaii for our anniversary which made me even more interested in them.

My zone is 9-10, Sunset Western 18. We sometimes get a very brief (like one day) frost, sometimes about 35 degrees at night, but most of the year it's pretty hot here and can get up to 110 degrees F.

Is there anything in particular I should know before buying a hibiscus?

If I buy online, are there recommended dealers, etc...?

I really wanted a pink double one, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

Comments (4)

• mjhuntingtonbeach
    13 years ago

Hello from Orange County.

I purchased some Hibiscus fron Hidden Valley Hibiscus, web site http://www.hiddenvalleynaturearts.com/catalog.htm. They have a huge selection of varieties that you could never find in local nurseries or places like Home Depot.

They have a number of varieties currently available and their Hibiscus gallery has a picture of the full line of varieties that they sell as plants become available. I got two pinks last time, "Lady in Waiting" which has a mix of single and double flowers, and "Belle du Jour" which has huge flowers with a puckered texture.

I think they're located down in Fallbrook in San Diego County and have open houses in summer.

Regarding care, check out their care directions on the website, and here's an excerpt regarding sun exposure:

"Hibiscus do best with the proper balance of sun, heat, and water. Sunlight and temperature are 2 factors that work in opposition to each other. In other words, if the temperatures are high sunlight should be reduced. If sunlight is high, lower temperatures are better. When both sunlight and temperatures are high water needs go way up and when either or both sunlight and temperature go down so do the water needs of the hibiscus.

OK, so what does this mean in practical terms? Let's consider some common examples:

* Along coastal California where the temperatures are often quite mild, it is best to provide a location with lots of sun. We have seen even the most fancy of modern varieties of hibiscus thrive in all day full sun and in fact grow them that way in our own yard.
    * In the hot and dry conditions of inland California or southern states like Arizona it is best to grow hibiscus in a location that has a lot of shade but some direct sun."

I went the cheap route last time and bought 4" pots - I'd recommend instead getting the 6" pots for $30 bucks as the 4" plants were small cuttings without decent root systems or much growth, although they've since all grown into decent sized bushes.

Good luck :)

Mike

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Mike! That's very helpful!!

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    13 years ago

Mike gave you some excellent advice, aimeekitty. I live very close to Hidden Valley. They're actually in Oceanside, but really right on the border of Camp Pendleton, near Fallbrook. They are an awesome hibiscus nursery, and I highly recommend going to one of their open houses. And, they sell a hibiscus fertilizer that is worth the investment if you want to really establish your hibiscus. You sound like you're in a more inland, hotter area of S. California, so for you, you're best bet is to plant your hibiscus where they'll get lots of morning sunshine, then afternoon shade to protect them. And, increase their watering in the hot summer months. Deep drip is great for them. Protect them from snails and slugs, and watch for whitefly and aphids, and treat accordingly. You can order from Hidden Valley, or check out your local Armstrong nursery to see if they are carrying hibiscus varieties (that may very well be from Hidden Valley). I have two double pink hibiscus trimmed to large trees that are really spectacular and bloom all year long. Plus many other hibiscus, simple and fancy that get from full sun to dappled sun and even just morning sun, and all are thriving.

Patty S.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the suggestions! I ended up getting the timed release fertlizer due to my schedule this summer/year, and got High Heaven which is a fancy white one with a red eye. I know I said pink, but... High Heaven was so pretty!

My thought is,... I'm going to put it on a large pot on my porch which gets bright light and -some- sun, but not a lot.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida