Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyesofthewolf

Best hibiscus ever

eyesofthewolf
14 years ago

This hibiscus has been the most prolific producer of blooms, in fact its in the house and has two blooms open and 4 more ready to open, its disease resistant and the bugs don`t like it. ALL the other hibiscus that I have are either bug traps or some other problem. I have started cuttings (wrong time of year I know) and they have rooted nicely. The name is Lipstick pink I wish I had the tag telling me where they came from. Anyway its so cold and boring I am jumping from one forum to the other putting my 2 cents in. Wishing for warmer weather. So here are a few of my pictures.

{{gwi:201593}}

{{gwi:201592}}

Hope everyone has a great day! :o)Deanna

Comments (14)

• ilovejesus
    14 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!
    I am so fascinated by hibiscus...if you ever have cuttings to share PLEASE let me know!

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sure I will share some cuttings, I need to see how the best way to ship will be, to wrap new cuttings and let you root them or to root them and try to ship any how I will get your address and send you some. my e-mail is deanmaross@gmail.com :o)Deanna

• hibsicus
    14 years ago

Hi, I would also be interested,in some of your cuttings.Would pay postage,or when mine come up,will send you cuttings.I also have confederate rose.Have double white and double pink .All I have now are seeds.Later,in the year,will have cuttings.If interested,let me know.Thank you.
    Margaret
    My email address.hibsicus01@yahoo.com

• ilovejesus
    14 years ago

Hi Deanna
    I sent you an email!
    Thank You So Much!!!!!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

Lordy is that a welsome sight. That Lipstick Pink is gorgeous. Do you know the names of the other two? That 2nd one in particular catches my eye...thanks Maryl

• eyesofthewolf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Maryl, I am sorry that I didn`t keep the names of the plants, The closest one that I could find off the Hidden Valley Hibiscus website was the James Bond. The Hidden Valley place seems to have some really beautiful plants and really not to expensive. I bought all mine at the local lowes so you know how they are they just label them hibiscus. Have a great day :o) Deanna

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

thank you for the information Deanna. I wish our Lowes carried something as lovely. I've not grown too many tropical Hibiscus in my life so wasn't familiar with any mail order sources. Boy, that Hidden Valley has some beauties. I don't know if they are a reputible company or not, but they sure do have some eye candy for a cold winters day. I'll be checking them out with Dave's. Thanks again for sharing your beauties and your information....Maryl

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

I am dying to get a pink Lipstick Hibiscus. Are there any nurseries in Florida that sells them? How about any internet retailers? I checked eBay but couldn't find any Lipsticks. I have to find one of these. Any help will be appreciated!

Carol

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

I got my lipstick hibiscus at Home depot.

Mercedes

10 years ago

Hi Mercedes,

When did you buy it - recently or a long time ago? Also, in what state do you live? I see that you are in zone 8 but no location. They are beautiful and so hardy... you are lucky. :)

Thanks so much for the tip. I will take a look at Home Depot. Have found plenty of Seminoles - and now have a nice one in my yard - but no Pink Lipstick. :(

Carol in Jacksonville

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

I live in Fresno CA and I purchased my lipstick last year but my local HD sells them all the time, in tree ($33. 00)and small bush ($5.00). Good luck.

Mercedes

10 years ago

Mercedes, thanks for the tip. My THD doesn't have it. They sell a similar pink, but the flower is a little lighter pink and it has a very dark pink eye. The Lipstick is the same pink from center (eye) to tips of petals.

I sent an email to Charlie at Hidden Valley Hibiscus to see if they carried it but I never received a reply.

I'm sure I will find it eventually. Growers of all kinds of plants follow these forums and watch for hot plants and what folks want. That's how adeniums, brugs, aroids and plumeria found there way into so many of the big box stores.

Thanks again for the help - maybe my THD (did you know it is "The Home Depot"? I just found that out recently) will get it in!

Carol

• Hibiscus_0bsessed
    10 years ago

This is the one I have.
    Mercedes

10 years ago

That is beautiful! Interesting how the petal tips curl back so far that you can't even see them in the photo. I wish I could find one here. The ones I see at The Home Depots and Lowes here in Jacksonville look like

, and
    this. They have the dark pink eye/center. I don't want that.

The hibiscus I want, Pink Lipstick, looks like yours as well as the one at the top of this thread, and the pictures
    here and

Carol

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH