Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink500

replant?

pink500
18 years ago

hello--

i got a hibiscus last spring(my first) and my husband(the non-gardener) planted it because i was too pregnant!

anyway--he didn't plant it far enough down and it is falling over and not in good shape--getting yellow leaves and some pesky slugs eating the leaves.

my question: when should i replant it? now while its dormant?

i live in san jose, ca so it doesn't get too frozen here--its about 2ft tall--some hybrid--not sure names--orange flowers--

oh yeah--what kind of fertalizer and how often--i'd like to keep it.

thanks!!

val

Comments (3)

• pink500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

forgot to mention--that it bloomed at first then it would bud then they would fall off before opening--boohoo
    any thoughts--
    thanks!!!!!!
    val

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Since you said it has orange blooms, I'm betting you have a tropical hibiscus - Hibscus rosa-sinensis. You need to know that, since the care of a tropical compared to almost any other hibiscus can be different. Below is a link to help you figure this out. It also has lots of great information on basic care.
    I also live in zone 9, but haven't had the guts to put one of my tropical hibscus in the ground. I'm going to this spring though.
    I would replant it deeper. Zone 9 is this plants' northern limit, so it needs to be in the ground correctly before the real cold starts.
    Also, the yellow leaves aren't necessarily a sign of poor health. It's normal for this plant when it is going dormant.
    The slugs though... I'd take care of them.
    Don't fertilize it again until the spring.
    Hopefully, there are others here with similar situations as you who will jump in.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

• pink500
    Original Author
    18 years ago

yes, i have a Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Golden Dust'
    thanks for the site--its great!
    val

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH