Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine4ever4

Multiple problems ... not sure what to do to ...

sunshine4ever4
16 years ago

Ok .. so I just bought a house about a month ago.

In the front yard there are three hibiscus plants.

The hibiscus' leaves were eaten by some insects. I sprayed them three times at 7 days interval. I also started fertilizing them with Miracle Grow.

However, the leaves are turning yellow. One plant in particular is very bad. I read through the posts on this website and I'm going to try water and vinegar solution ...

Some leaves are just plain yellow, but others have dark brown spots more visible on the back of the leaf. Also I noticed some very fine dark powdery like formation on the back of the leaves. Is it normal? Should I do something about it? Thanks

Comments (3)

• User
    16 years ago

What state do you live in?
    What zone are you in?
    Are they tropical? Hardy? Rose of Sharon?

• sunshine4ever4
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in SW Florida, Tampa Bay area.

I'd think they're tropical, but not 100% sure. All hibiscuses around here look about the same (to me). I gave them water & vinegar yesterday ... 1 galon mix per plant ... now I'm waiting to see what happens ...

• User
    16 years ago

Sunshine,
    You can spray them off real good with a hose also.
    Sort of clean them off, see what happens.
    Did the vinegar and water help?
    Some occasional yellowing of leaves is OK, but it sounds like you may have a little problem with brown stuff.
    Try washing the plants off every 4 or 5 days with a hose, especially on the undersides of the leaves and see if that helps.