Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richdelmo

I think I'm doing okay with my Hibiscus, please confirm

richdelmo
18 years ago

I have one tropical Red flower hibiscus(not certain of the exact type) that bloomed incredibly well last summer. I brought it indoors mid October and allowed all of the remaining buds to bloom. Mid November I cut it way back possibly more than 50% and have since been watering after it gets somewhat dry, also provided low doses of miracle grow about 1 month apart. It now has plenty of new very healthy looking growth and seems to be doing well. It sits next to my glass slider getting plenty of winter sun, although IÂm wondering if the night time drafts will do harm so far it has not. From what IÂve read I should expect to see some new buds sometime in March.

I would welcome any suggestions comments corrective criticism etc. My first year with this beauty and I want to keep it going.

Comments (11)

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to mention I also have plastic containters filled with water on the soil for humidity.

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

You probably have a tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), right? Not hardy where you live?
    It sounds like your hibiscus is happy where it is.
    One of the main concerns during the winter months is overwatering; I almost killed one hibiscus that I grew from seed this way recently.
    It seems like you're doing everything right, including the humidity tray. One thing I will mention is to be sure to remove those trays occasionally to make sure fungus, etc isn't growing underneath them. I keep shells in my pots and I have to be careful of this.
    Otheres might have more things to add, but I'd say, keep up the good work and you'll be rewarded soon!
    Barb

• watergal
    18 years ago

You are doing everything right, congratulations! Watch out for spider mites and whiteflies and treat at first sign of the little buggers.

Also watch out for an every increasing collection. I had one red hibiscus several years ago, just like you. I now have about 15 of them in an indoor grow room with heavy-duty grow lights, fans and humidifiers. They are addictive! Have fun!

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you both for your feed back it's much appreciated.

Beach barbie, I do move the trays regularly by default- my cat keeps drinking the water, even though she always has a fresh bowl available. And I do think it's a tropical variety. BTW I love your name, it creates a warm image.

Watergal, I don't see any evidence of pests, but your comment concerned me so I sprayed the entire plant with insecticidal soap just to be sure.

On the under side of the foliage I do see some VERY TINY white powder like specs that rub off with the finger, too small for aphids. Any idea what that may be? And am I on target for March to expect new buds.

Thanks, Happy Valentines Day..

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

White powder-like specs...hhmmmm..... If they're not whitefly, then I haven't a clue, sorry!
    As far as treating for whitefly and aphids go, you can just use a 10% dish liquid and water solution. It's safe, cheap and works great. Spray it on the tips of the branches and the buds, which is where the little buggers most likely are. Be sure to spray underneath the leaves also. I use it about once a week and I haven't had a problem all winter.
    And Watergal is right about the addiction. I had three about eight years ago and I now have about 15 that are bloom size and at least that many seedlings.
    Barb

• watergal
    18 years ago

Not sure about the critters but a good spray with the soap will probably keep them in line. Sounds too small for whitefly. Is it fluffy looking - if so, maybe mealybug, but that tends to cluster where stem meets leaf, not under the leaves.

With really good light and no pests, you might get buds by March. It takes a good 3 months after pruning a branch to get buds on it, more if the light is less than really bright or the plant is fighting insects. I wouldn't expect too much until May or later, although you might get a few sporadic flowers before then if all goes well. My heavy blooms start in July and go through until about Christmas.

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barbie, I am now watering about three times weekly, I'm doing this because the leaves are starting to droop but do respond once watered. I am concerned about what you said regarding over watering, but the plant does seem to need it.
    A new concern:
    Today I noticed a single clear liquid drop at the bottom of a many leafs, exactly where the leaf meets the stem. Any idea what this is and does it need any attention. Oh and the drop is sticky to the touch.

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

What is the tiny sap like droplet on my hibiscus located at the bottom of a many leafs, exactly where the leaf meets the stem.

• jenny_in_se_pa
    18 years ago

The tiny powdery dots might be spider mites, which can be a BIG nuisance if there's not enough humidity and/or air circulation around the plants.

With respect to the droplets - I mention what that is in your separate post. They call the locations where they appear, "extrafloral nectaries", and the little droplets are a type of nectar most likely used as an attractant to insects.

• richdelmo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just wanted to report back to the folks who responded to my questions during the cold weather here in the north. My Hibiscus plant remains potted in full sun and is doing rather well, sprouting several new flowers daily. Thanks for your help and happy growing.

• watergal
    17 years ago

Glad to hear it! My hibiscus had a bad whitefly infestation over the winter and are outdoors still recovering. Had to do severe pruning because they were so leggy, so no flowers yet and probably not for another month. :(

Sponsored