Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yelmbackyard

Potted hibiscus

yelmbackyard
14 years ago

I have a potted hibiscus that has never bloomed. I've never owned a hibiscus and I am finding them quite finicky!

I keep it indoors during the winter months. It will die away and then attempt to regenerate indoors.

It is tall and spindly, but never blooms.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

I'm assuming you're talking about tropical hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis), which need at least 4-5 hours of direct sunlight to bloom.
    A few questions:
    How long have you owned it?
    Is it root bound?
    Where do you have it in the summer?
    How much and what kind of fertilizer do you use?
    Since it's not blooming now, it may not bloom for you until the spring. In the mean time, there are a few things you can do to give it a good start then.
    Once you've answered the questions I (and others here) will have a better idea of what advise you can use.
    Barb

• yelmbackyard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've owned this hibiscus for a year.

It did appear rootbound at the end of this summer and I have transplanted it into a larger pot where it promptly died off this fall and is currently regenerating.

I use 24-8-16 All Purpose fertilizer once every 2 weeks.

During the summer months it is in direct sunlight for at least four hours a day if not more.

I hope I've answered all of your questions here as I would really love to see this hibiscus bloom.

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

That's a good sign that it's getting new leaves and it's not surprising that it lost them when you repotted. They do that sometimes, not a big deal.
    In the spring and summer, use a fertilizer with equal numbers (not a bigger first number) or one meant for blooming plants.
    Here's a link to a site that I've always found to be helpful.
    It'll help guide you through winter care and getting the plant to BLOOM!
    Good luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

Sponsored