Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosco_p

Winter Hibiscus

rosco_p
13 years ago

Just wondering whether or not anyone has any blooming Hibiscus.Here is a picture of a few blooming last week in Ontario, Canada....indoors of course.

Comments (5)

• mike423
    13 years ago

I actually have the same type of yellow tropical as you. I don't allow mine to flower during the winter as I noticed due to already less than great light conditions my tropical hibiscus get sort of spent if I do as well as the flowers blooming with a somewhat deformed look (like the fringed look on the tip of the petals on the yellow one pictured)which I also got if allowed to bloom during winter. I also noticed mine stay healthier and flower almost twice as vigorously in spring and early summer if prevented flower growth is practiced during winter.

• rosco_p
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mike:You are probably right about allowing them to go somewhat dormant and to not bloom during the winter as being the best route but...I just couldn"t resist the splash of colour to brighten up the week. Thanks for your input. Ross.

• mike423
    13 years ago

Sure, I actually allow one flower to mature and bud on a plant from time to time myself just so i can enjoy it :)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

Roscoe P,
    What is the name of the pink one with the red center? I have the others, and like the fuzzy part on the pistil. it is similar to the EL Capitilo Red.
    pa (short for princealbert)

• rosco_p
    Original Author
    13 years ago

PA.I really have no idea what the name of that pink would be!! I received it as just pink and it has been my mainstay Hibiscus now for years.Ross.

Sponsored