Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evie1978

Should I fertilize

Evie1978
12 years ago

One of my hibiscus plants hasnt really stopped blooming since I brought it inside this last fall, it has gone quite for a few but hasnt went dormant at least to my knowledge . A few weeks ago I have noticed small buds forming along with new leafs at the ends of each branch. My question is should I fertilize??? I water it once a week and with all this new growth wasnt sure if I should or not with this only being the first part of Feb.?

Comments (2)

• nick1427d
    12 years ago

Is this a Tropical Hibiscus?

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

There isn't a simple answer to your question regarding whether it's appropriate to fertilizing now. To illustrate, it's possible that your plant has one or more nutrient deficiencies at the moment that can only be alleviated by fertilizing, but if the level of soluble salts in the soil is already higher than it should be, you could do considerable harm by fertilizing.

Your watering habits and soil choice also play a very major part in determining what's appropriate. I happen to use very fast (draining soils), and get the best results by fertilizing EVERY time I water with a weak dose of fertilizer. Because I flush the soil, so 10-20% of the water I apply exits the drain - carrying soluble salts out of the soil, I don't need to worry about whether or not I can fertilize w/o the salt level in the soil becoming too high.

From a physiological perspective, this is the BEST way to fertilize. It ensures that ALL the essential nutrients are present in the soil at ALL times; at a concentration low enough that it doesn't make it difficult for the plant to take up water, yet high enough to prevent nutritional deficiencies. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Those that might suggest you withhold fertilizers in the winter, simply do not understand the relationship I briefly outlined above. It's easy to repeat what 'someone in a book somewhere' suggested because they took for granted you would be using a heavy, water-retentive soil that required you water in sips, and ensured there would be a salt build-up during the winter. IOW - they take a LOT for granted in an attempt to protect you from yourself. ;-) I'd much rather show you the whole picture and provide you with an understanding that allows you to avoid the pitfalls others take for granted you necessarily need to be saddled with.

If you have questions, I'm pretty sure I can answer them and help you - all I need to do is remember I visited this forum, which I almost never do. ;-)

Al

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County