Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wsutherland_gw

Hibiscus leaves wilting, deformed and yellowing...

wsutherland
11 years ago

Some of the leaves are drying/wilting, some are growing deformed and small, others are yellowing around the edges. I am getting a soil test done but am hoping someone has thoughts of the cause of the symptoms in the meantime. Thanks for any help.

Comments (4)

• wsutherland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

additional pic

• wsutherland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

additional pic

• Gutzmek
    11 years ago

Wsutherland,
    As you are north and bring your plants in each winter as I do, I can offer some experience advice. From your photos, I see similar items I have dealt with in the past, and am still working through. My thoughts are as follows.

Give them a shower first. One of my Erin Rachael's had deformed, wilted leafs. I have been battling spider mites on these plants all winter, but I think the bath worked two fold. I spray under leafs and over the entire plant with a detachable shower head. The plants and all of the leafs responded positively. Besides the mites, the humidity increase helped. I purchased two dollar sprayers, and plan to mist the plants daily. I also have a humidifier running, but I think the mist works better.

Next, my wife's Sea Spray showed the same spots. I added a very small dash of Mg (epson salts) to a spray and it disappeared on new leafs.

The thought is this...have you noticed gnats? We had a bought of fungus gnats early on. It was easy to keep them at bay by scrapping a layer the top layer of soil from the plant and adding new. Make sure you quickly dispose of the discarded material.

Hope you get your plants righted.
    Ed

This post was edited by Gutzmek on Wed, Jan 2, 13 at 0:04

• wsutherland
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ed, thanks for the post. I will try the shower idea and the Epson salts! I did have gnats, but spread a thin layer of sharp sand over the surface and it seemed to kill them all off! I am looking forward to the soil results and will post my findings. Thanks, Wade

Sponsored