Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golden_ca_2000

My indoor Hibiscus

golden_ca_2000
14 years ago

I've had my hibiscus tree for about 10 years. It flowers profusely but my problem is - I always get yellowing leaves. I have in the past (every time I get this problem) I cut the plant back to nothing - pick off every single leaf and it comes back beautifully! Nice and green and then a couple of months later - same thing - the leaves start yellowing. I have repotted it - hoping the new soil would fix it. But still I get these funny yellow leaves. I read an article on the internet about adding 1 cup of vinegar to a gallon of water to increase the acidic level of the soil. Have any of you tried this? Im thinking there must be something this plant is lacking but I cant figure it out?

Heres a photo of a few leaves - Unfortunately I picked the few yellow ones off this a.m. so these arent the best example but basically what I have for now.

Also - this was the article I found on watering with vinegar

http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/outdoors/articles/2006/05/27/20060527swgarden0527.html

Anyways if anyone has any advice or suggestions - it would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• golden_ca_2000
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess I should of added my hibiscus variety is Isabella

• donaldb
    14 years ago

I've had a tropical hibiscus for eight years now. It resides outside here in Massachusetts fro late April through late October when it is brought into a sunroom for the winter where the temps vary from 58 at night to 77 during the day. Upon bringing it in it will go through the process of dropping quite a few of it's leaves..........they turn yellow. After that time I will have some leaves look exactly as the ones you have pictured but it really has never bothered me. It gets watered when the soil dries out and does not receive any fertilizer until mid March. That's about all I can say. Hope it may be of some help.

• moogletrips
    14 years ago

Hello.
    I have a question about my new hibiscus, says its an indoor plant. ive been looking up on videos on how i should plant it or if there is any prep i have to do and was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out!? =)
    it alredy has some leaves on it and roots from what i can tell should i plant it or put it in a water cup? and what soil would you guys recommend for me to use?
    Any information to my new hibiscus would be awsome!
    here is a picture of it:
    http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/moogletrips/Picture438.jpg

and another of the name of the plant in this link below but it dont tell me to much.
    Would appreciate some help asap so i can plant this pretty flower =)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• agrigirl
    14 years ago

Well it is not a chlorosis of the leaves so that is good. Yellowing of leaves on a Hibiscus can be normal. It is a response to some stress factor. The factor can be too much light, not enough light, too hot, too cold, spider mites and other pests, etc.

If you have it in an area where there is not enough light...the plant will drop leaves after yellowing so it does not have to use as much energy to support the rest of the plant. Unfortunately when that happens, there is less chlorophyll available to capture the light...photosynthates that go to the "sink" (the leaves) are not as available so you have a continued effect on other leaves.

They can get root stress too from too much water, which will cause a yellowing and dropping of leaves as well. This usually occurs when it is in a colder and darker environment.

Not enough water....same effect....yellowing occurs as a sign to you that something is wrong. Kinda like the plant saying "Mommy I don't feel too good." Then it will drop the leaves so less water is needed overall for the plant and when it does get water it will direct it to healthy plant areas in order to use less energy fighting the ill parts of the plant.

Nutrients....if they do not turn completely yellow before dropping (or your pruning) then it also could be a lack of essential nutrients or pH imbalance. Adding a liming agent can correct the pH level and adding a fertilizer will help as well.

Nutrient Requirements for the Hibiscus:
    Potassium is the most needed nutrient as it is needed in all processes of the plant metabolism and health.

Phosphorus is a problem as the Hibiscus does not tolerate high levels of Phosphorus. It is the most limiting nutrient in the fact that not all of it can be taken up and it remains in the soil the longest of the nutrients within a common fertilizer. Too much phosphorous can cause yellowing of the leaves and often chlorosis which is complete death of the leaf area.

Nitrogen is needed in a moderate (medium amount) but too much of it will cause a "burning" of the leaves.

Which formulation would work best? Best for Hibiscus is 17-5-24 or an approximate ratio of that combination. Also, it is important to remember that Hibiscus are like us in the aspect that they like to be fed more often rather than only getting fed one large plate of food at a time. So, decrease the amount you are fertilizing into periods of time and feed over a longer period of time rather than fertilizing a large dosage once or twice a year.

Fertilizer Suppliers:

SunGro Horticulture has a Technigrow 17-5-24 Plus www.sungro.com
    Jack's has 17-5-24 Low Acid Peat-Lite www.jacksprofessional.com

You will have to contact both of these manufacturers to find a distributor in your area. Or you can find a distributor by clicking on a map on their websites I believe.

I know this is not a definitive answer. But, it is the answer I have in regards to yellow coloration of the leaves and the indications associated with that.

Good luck!