Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xineohpinakc

Re: Tropical Hibiscus (will not let me post follow up)

xineohpinakc
14 years ago

I had moved it to new soil that was mildly damp. There is not much to show as it has turned to just sticks in the ground and appears the bark has shriveled to the roots. I dug it up and the roots appear healthy. I'm thinking it is past saving. I'll give you what observations I saw.

Leaves became mottled

Leaves became yellow and defoliated.

It put out new young leaves that started drooping and doing the same.

The bark began shriveling at the ends till limbs were dead and worked it's way to the roots.

Tried cutting below the problem and spraying the plant with fungicide, moved to completely new potting soil/pot with the roots cleaned and washed in fungicide water.

I did get one cutting during the summer which is growing in an aquarium (small) which appears to have no problems.

Comments (7)

• xineohpinakc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It looked just like the photo

http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/images/wiltsm.jpg

Wilt Disease.

I'm hoping the little cutting turns out ok so I can try with this plant again.

• jean001
    14 years ago

you can easily followup your own post -- or post a second one soon afterward -- if you change the subject line the least little bit. Perhaps put a dash at the end of the subject line. Or add the word more. etc.

• jean001
    14 years ago

here's a link to your first post of this thread
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hibisc/msg0113433323836.html

Here is a link that might be useful: your 1st post

• xineohpinakc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your message. It does not show the bottom half of the post at all such as this reply box. It won't let me change anything.

• jean001
    14 years ago

Oops. I didn't notice that. Your post probably was caught up in the recent gremlin wars here on GardenWeb.

• beachbarbie
    14 years ago

Tropical hibiscus are not hardy where you are. They barely are where I am and I mulch them heavily (sometimes they do come back from the roots). Because of this, what I normally do is what you've started to do. Grow more from cuttings every year. Plant the bigger cuttings in the ground, always keeping a new supply to plant each Spring. either that, or grow in pots, bringing in each winter.

• xineohpinakc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks. Yes, it was indoors in a pot because it is too cold here to put into the ground. It passed on but, I do have a stem that I cut off before it had the problems. It seems to be doing well growing in an aquarium with artificial light.

If it survives and grows large enough I'll do this again and grow small cuttings in the aquarium overwinter next year. It is weird that the others had no problems.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz