Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcharles_gw

Hibiscus leaves on Seedlings yellowing?

Hi,
I started some (tropical hbiscus) rose-sinensis seeds last fall and they have grown to approx. 18" tall and very strong stems.
I had an issue with spider mites and treated at early stage. No longer an issue.
One of the plants had a brownish blotch on the leaf margin and then the leaf started to change color to yellow over a week and then fell off. Now there is another starting this process. First one at the top and subsequently working down.
At first I was thinking of too much water. Sure it is not this.
Bugs. No signs.
Fertilizer burn. Only using at half strength.
The stem from leaf that is turning yellowish now to the tip seems to be healthy.

If anyone could help shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.
Rick

Comment (1)

• Gutzmek
    10 years ago

Rick,
    Items I would look at are nutrition and lighting. Many of my seedlings have shed leaves from light, and grow larger leaves in their place during winter. But, from your observations, I suspect a nutrients issue. Depending on your potting material and water, your plants are likely being flooded by a particular mineral or two. I would eliminate the fertilizers for now and try to use a neutral water source. Many "store bought soils" contain high concentrations of these. If I were you, I would provide adequate lighting and flush the soil over time. Also be mindful of good drainage.

Ed

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus