Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsofheaven

Need directions on planting rose of sharon seeds!

plantsofheaven
18 years ago

I just got some in a trade. I would like to know how I should plant them.(plant depth, nicking, etc.) Should I nick them like tropical hibiscus seeds? Also can someone post a picture of a rose of sharon seed so I can make sure it is an actual rose of sharon?(my seeds have hairs on them)

Thanks

Plantsofheaven

Comments (10)

• kayjones
    18 years ago

Germination of rose of sharon seeds: Easy germination. Start seed indoors 4-6 weeks prior to last spring frost. Sow seeds on good seed starting mix, covering seeds with about 1/4" mix. Moisten mix and keep moist until germination begins. Place container in location at 68-70ºF. Seed should begin germinating in 10-20 days.

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Rose of Sharon seeds do have hairs on them and they're a mid-brown color. Below is a link to a pic of seeds.
    You don't have to nick them. Plant them about 1/4" deep in potting soil, keeping moist, but not too wet. Unless you have a warm place to start them now, I'd wait until spring.
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: RoS Seed pods and seeds

• plantsofheaven
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

• west_texas_peg
    17 years ago

Received Blushing Bride seeds in a Seed Exchange. Can I sow these in the ground come next spring? I'm in zone 7bTX, hot and dry.

I read on the form that Hybrids are sterile and that Blushing Bride did not produce seeds. If that is the case, I may have been sent another variety???

Peggy

• Mariafernanda51_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Can I get the seeds from my trees and planted them

• Mariafernanda51_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Can I get the seeds from my trees and planted them

• tomva
    12 years ago

I've grown them from seed,using the wintersowing method,like rosco p said they might not come true but that's half the fun waiting to see what you get

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

Still pruning-cuttings are the best way to produce more plants and for them to come true to the parent plants. They self-seed as long as there is some bare ground for them to fall onto. The seed can even be harvested the next spring if they are still on the plant.

• tomva
    12 years ago

I agree with Wally,that if you want the same plant that you have,cuttings are the best way,or a friend has one you like.but if you want to cross polinate and come up with a new one then seeds.I dont agree that its the best way to produce more plants.I can plant thousands of seed in the winter and by spring have thousands of plants here is how I do cuttings of hibiscus.Both ways have their good merits.especially since some hibiscus and even the rose of sharons are sterile.

Here is a link that might be useful: how I do hibiscus cuttings

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH