Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

EEwww dandruff bugs!

lilion
18 years ago

My hibiscus is doing beautifully indoors. I cut it back this Dec and it has a ton of new leaves and even bloomed once. Today I noticed a ton of what looked like dandruff under it and on the leaves. I took a look at them thru a microscope and they are bugs...they look dead, but what are they and where did they come from??? It's been indoors all winter and I haven't seen anything around the plant. How do I get rid of them? I've had every other hibiscus I've had not make it two seasons and I really, really don't want anything to happen to this one! Help!

Comments (3)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

Ah...whitefly..the bane of hibiscus growers; well that and aphids. It's very common to have this problem in the winter.
    I use a 10% dish liquid and water solution on my hibiscus once a week. Spray the whole plant, paying attention to the undersides of the leaves. This should keep them at bay.
    Barb

• lilion
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you! I washed the heck out of it in the shower than sprayed it off thoroughly with very diluted palmolive and it looks 100% better!

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

"washed the heck out of it in the shower ..." The things we do for our hibiscus!
    Glad it's better.
    Barb

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions