Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

transplanting/repoting

flowerbrackob
18 years ago

If my Hib. mini tree is tied to a stick to stand straight doe it inhibit the growth? I like it the height it is but want to get it bushy. I prune when branches get too long and force new growth and leaves. These past few yrs. the blooms are at least half of the previous yrs. It does get plant food. It's in a large probably 30" pot now; should it go into an even larger one? It is the same pot however that it was when given to me three yrs. ago. Clay pot. Perhaps it doesn't like (if it is) to be rootbound? Any suggestions? There have been some mentions of a miracle product from a site to order that I hope I kept in my files; but that may not be the answer for the diminishment of the fleur blooms? Thank Much For Any Time From Anyone; don't know the hort. name.

Comments (2)

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

The scientific name is your hibiscus is probably Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, since they're the ones that are trained into a tree shape.
    Being tied shouldn't inhibit it's growth as long as the string isn't too tight. The clay pot is fine also.
    It could be root bound. I know mine don't bloom as much when they're root bound. If that's the case, you can either pot up or do a root trim on it.
    As far as making it bushier, I don't know if it will ever revert back to a bushier form, but perhaps pruning back some of the bigger branches may induce growth near the bottom.
    The below site is where I get a lot of information on blooming, pruning, etc.
    Good luck!
    Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen of the Tropics

• blessedmotheroffour
    18 years ago

Barb I want to say thank you for sending the Queen of the Tropics link. Now I can stop my never ending questions to a friend. I wish I had seen this link sooner. I think everyone new should save this link. Cj

Sponsored